Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

I think I mentioned very early on. If you use the 64 bit version of 12.10 it will install with Windows 8. Some have reported it works even if secure boot is on, but you may have to have it off to install. Some have had issues and a few have major issues which seem to be more with UEFI bugs.

Some also have incorrectly installed Ubuntu in BIOS mode where it uses MBR, but Boot-Repair will fix by uninstalling grub-pc (for BIOS) and installing grub-efi (for UEFI). Your install of Ubuntu is not different other than a couple of minor settings.

The only remaining major bug is that grub2's os-prober still creates BIOS chain load entries to boot Windows which will not work. Boot-Repair will add entries that do work.

It is my understanding that grub2 2.00 that is currently with 12.10 will also then be included in 12.04with next point release in Jan. so it will boot with secure boot systems. Current 12.04 will install to UEFI, but not secure boot (although I did just see some updates to grub2 1.99 that said something about secure boot?).

Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    Last edited by oldfred; December 19th, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Oldfred

Yes you did mention that Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit is the one to use and that is why I' have repeated as much as possible that fact about how to proceed...

the rest of your input is just helping me and I think others to totally understand GPT/UEFT and restricted boot, so for slow to understand Ubuntu users like myself it's been very helpful your continued advice...I' read everything you say and then I' try to make it compute in my brain, so I' learn not just get it done..I' go to every link you provide and read and also try to get it cemented in my head.
    Like Question #1? When installing all to EFI mode do the requirements for what use to be “/” and “/home” and “swap” all gets put in it's place automatically even when we choose “something else” during the install. You know stupid questions like this one, well no question is stupid when you simply don't know right? Answers to this types of basic newbie questions are the bread and butter of site's like this one in my opinion. I' will accept any opinion to contrary or in favor.

I' do not consider these large fonts to be shouting

just making sure we all see that we need answers to these questions and also to help people see very important info they must not miss.

Question #2
    What is the best way to tell whether your Win 8 Pro is install on Efi partition or Legacy?

I'm not a member of the moderators group, I' practically have no knowledge, so take my advice lightly.

To install Ubuntu in EFI mode:

• Use a 64bit disk of Ubuntu (32bit installer does not detect EFI)
    • Use the last version of Ubuntu.
    • Support for UEFI SecureBoot appeared in 12.10.
    • Setup your firmware (BIOS) to boot the disk in UEFI mode,
    • Then:

• nothing special is required use the manual partitioning ("Something else"), the difference is that you will have to create and use an EFI partition, on how to do this I'm still finding out or maybe my store bought win 8 factory preloaded laptop already has this partition I' need to find this out also before proceeding.

We must have patience in this things who cares if we don't see our beloved Ubuntu on our new computer with restricted boot for a week or more, things must be done right and even still there is no guaranty that we won't have issues.

Having a PC with EFI firmware does not mean that you need to install Ubuntu in EFI mode. What is important is below:

• if the other systems (Windows 8, Linux...) of your computer are installed in EFI mode, then you must install Ubuntu in EFI mode too.
    • if the other systems (Windows, Linux...) of your computer are installed in Legacy (not-EFI) mode, then you must install Ubuntu in Legacy mode too.
    • if Ubuntu is the only operating system on your computer, then it does not matter, you can install Ubuntu in EFI mode or not your choice.

Question #3
    Pay attention to the word “mode” not partition.
    Is efi mode and efi partition the same? We must find out...

Identifying if the computer boots the HDD in EFI mode

This is possible only if you have already installed Ubuntu on the HDD, or by looking at the BIOS setup (see paragraph below).
    From an Ubuntu installed on the HDD (neither live CD nor liveUSB), open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), then type the following command:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"
    Remark: if the result is "Legacy boot on HDD", then either the BIOS is not UEFI type, or the BIOS is not setup to boot the HDD in UEFI mode.

Identifying if the computer boots the CD in EFI mode

Warning: even if your PC boots the CD in EFI mode, it might boot the HDD in Legacy mode (and the contrary).
    When booting on a 64-bit Ubuntu disk:
    - If the BIOS is setup to boot the CD in EFI mode
    You will see the screen in purple/black with the choices to choose which OS to boot, the Ubuntu /grub2 screen not the blue from Win 8

or If the BIOS is NOT setup to boot the CD in EFI mode
    you will see just the purple/black screen from Ubuntu but no choices for OS's just the keyboard Access logos at the bottom of the screen.

Setup the BIOS in EFI = Remember these writing that almost all I've copy and pasted are my attempts to fully understand how to dual boot a preloaded Win 8 with Ubuntu 12.10 64bit and your case can be different if you install Win 8 yourself.

this setting is located in the "Boot order" tab of the BIOS of my and maybe your computer

Some other firmwares (BIOS) propose an "UEFI/Legacy Boot:" option with the following choices: [Legacy only], [UEFI only] or/and [Both]. This last one boots in EFI mode when possible, then in Legacy mode if no EFI files are detected.

Once Ubuntu is install to find out if you installed Ubuntu in the right place/EFI
    An Ubuntu installed in EFI mode can be detected the following way:

• its /etc/fstab file contains an EFI partition (mount point: /boot/efi)
    • it uses the grub-efi bootloader (not grub-pc)
    • from the installed Ubuntu, open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) then type the following command:
      [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Installed in EFI mode" || echo "Installed in Legacy mode"

Converting Ubuntu into EFI mode

• Start Boot-Repair, click on "Advanced options", go to the "GRUB location" tab.
    • If you do not see a "Separate /boot/efi partition" line, this means that your PC does not have any EFI partition. In this case, exit Boot-Repair, then create an EFI partition (see the "Creating an EFI partition" paragraph above).
    • If you see a "Separate /boot/efi partition" line, tick it then click the "Apply" button.
    • Setup your BIOS so that it boots the HDD in EFI mode (see the ""Setup the BIOS in EFI or Legacy mode" Remember your Ubuntu must be in the same partition that your Win 8 is = if win 8 is in legacy your Ubuntu must be in legacy or old stuff as I' like to call it, however if win 8 preloaded not installed by you is in new efi then you must install Ubuntu 12,10 the latest in efi also), I will not be held responsible for damages to your preloaded win 8 and backup of your files are necessary always, you have been giving advice as to how to protect yourself against the lost of your system
    • If you do end up lost remember that you can do a restore to factory state, assuming you didn't erase your healthy restore partitions, remember new win 8 with GPT can have many partitions.

Also trying all this is better and safer if you have another computer to access the Ubuntu forums just in case.

So the solution to any big problem will be rebooting Win 8 so you can get back to the reset to factory area of course if your win 8 isn't booting then don't get bent out of shape and start deleting stuff, Don't delete anything not Ubuntu (nothing), let the restore from factory take care of that, just work on getting your win 8 to boot.

Just in case: see below for when Ubuntu is install and booting fine, just maybe not your Win 8 factory preloaded, knowing what to do via Ubuntu to find out stuff so the forums can help you and also remember I'm not a member of the moderators group, I' practically have no knowledge, so take my advice lightly, yea, yea, yea we get it...
    Converting Ubuntu into Legacy mode (not sure why I' would want to do this). But maybe it's a must in some cases.

• If Ubuntu is installed on a GPT disk (you can check it via the 'sudo parted -l' command), use Gparted to create a BIOS-Boot partition (1MB, unformatted file system, bios_grub flag) at the start of its disk.
    • Start Boot-Repair, click on "Advanced options", go to the "GRUB location" tab.
    • Untick the "Separate /boot/efi partition" option
    • Click the "Apply" button.
    • Setup your BIOS so that it boots the HDD in Legacy mode (see the ""Setup the BIOS in EFI or Legacy mode" paragraph above).

SecureBoot

"Secure Boot" is a new UEFI feature that appeared in 2012, with Windows8 preinstalled computers. The support for this feature has started with Ubuntu 12.10 64bit (see this article), but it is not fully reliable yet, so you may need to disable it in order to be able to boot Ubuntu.

OK so secureboot and quickboot are not the same I' wonder which one is restricted boot, must be the secureboot or non of the above, still learning...

I'm not a member of the moderators group, I' practically have no knowledge, so take my advice lightly.

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Boot-Repair is a simple tool to repair frequent boot issues you may encounter in Ubuntu like when you can't boot Ubuntu after installing Windows or another Linux distribution, or when you can't boot Windows after installing Ubuntu, or when GRUB is not displayed anymore, some upgrade breaks GRUB, etc.
    Boot-Repair lets you fix these issues with a simple click, which (generally reinstall GRUB and) restores access to the operating systems you had installed before the issue.

@all:
    quick explanations about how to use Boot-Repair on UEFI systems:

First of all, try the "Recommended Repair" button.
    - B-R will automatically detect if grub-pc or grub-efi (or grub Legacy) is needed
    - if grub-efi is needed, it will automatically detect if a signed boot is needed or not (SecureBoot)
    - by default, the "Backup and rename EFI files" option is ticked. As explained here, this option duplicates grubx64.efi in 2 places: /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi and /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi . This allos to be sure that the BIOS will boot into GRUB at next reboot, even if the BIOS doesn't allow to boot on /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi , and by commodity this avoids the user to modify the BIOS. Of course, if these files already existed, B-R renames them first (by adding them a .bkp extension).

After the Recommended Repair, the user reboots its PC, and sees the GRUB menu with access to Ubuntu, and generally 2 additional entries:
    - Windows UEFI (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.bkp)
    - Windows Boot UEFI ( /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.bkp)

Generally, these 2 entries boot Windows without any problem.

But on some systems, they don't boot Windows. Example: http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic...9311#p11879311 . In this case, here is what to do:
    1) if your PC has/had Windows8 preinstalled, go into the BIOS, and , if possible, disable the SecureBoot and the QuickBoot. Then redo the Recommended Repair of Boot-Repair. This often works (example: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=686 ).
    If still none of the 2 Windows entries work, continue next steps.

2) restorer the bkp via Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> untick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> tick "Restore EFI backups" --> Apply . This will restore the 2 bkp files to their original place (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi et /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi ) , and this will update the 2 Windows entries in GRUB:
    - Windows UEFI (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi)
    - Windows Boot UEFI ( /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi)

3) then reboot the PC. If the BIOS hadn't been changed (it is setup to boot on /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi or /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi ), this will directly boot Windows.

4) then setup the BIOS so that it boots on the Ubuntu entry (/efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi) . This will make the GRUB menu appear, with access to Ubuntu and the 2 Windows entries:
    - Windows UEFI (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi)
    - Windows Boot UEFI ( /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi)

5) If you can't boot Windows via these GRUB entries, but that you can boot Windows directly via the Windows entry of the BIOS, then it is probably a security of Windows that doesn't like to be booted via GRUB , in this case I can't do anything, and you need to setup your BIOS each time you want to boot another OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think you pretty well have it. How you boot hard drive does not have to be way to boot install DVD or flash drive and that can then lead to issues.

If you use manual install you have to specify partitions. The auto install options all only create / (root) & swap. In BIOS those are the only partitions you see, but with UEFI it will create a efi partition for boot files, or if only Ubuntu on gpt drive it will create a bios_grub partition (old versions did not do either, it was all manual).

If using manual install you need to create partitions your self just like you would with BIOS install. It depends on how you want to use computer. If just starting out you can use smaller allocations and just / & /home. Then if allocating more space a speparate /home may make sense. But if dual booting then a shared NTFS data partition may make sense as Windows does not like too much writing into its system and with Windows 8 always hibernating that will automatically create issues.

For the Total space you want for Ubuntu:
    Ubuntu's standard install is just / (root) & swap, but it is better to add another partition for /home if allocating over 30GB.:
    If gpt(not MBR) partitioning include these two first - all partitions with gpt are primary
    250 MB efi FAT32 (for UEFI boot or future use for UEFI)
    1 MB bios_grub no format (for BIOS boot)
    Ubuntu partitions - smaller root only where hard drive space is limited.
    If total space less than about 30GB just use / not separate /home or standard install.
    1. 10-25 GB Mountpoint / primary or logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    2. all but 2 GB Mountpoint /home logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    3. 2 GB Mountpoint swap logical

Depending on how much memory you have you may not absolutely need swap but having some is still recommended. I do not hibernate (boots fast enough for me) but if hibernating then you need swap equal to RAM in GiB not GB. And if dual booting with windows a shared NTFS partition is also recommended. But you usually cannot create that as part of the install, just leave some space. Or partition in advance (recommended).
    One advantage of partitioning in advance is that the installer will use the swap space to speed up the install. Thanks Herman for the tip.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2021534
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I' manage to see and play with Ubuntu 12.10 64 BIT remix = notice it's the remix!
    Why the remix? When regular 12.10 64 bit also should work fine!

Well, cuz it has boot repair already on the live CD/DVD, did not want a separate USB with boot repair yet.

As I' was saying I' booted Ubuntu 64 with a USB on a TOUCH screen laptop with restricted boot.

First things first: I' don't like the current Ubuntu on touch devices, will explain later on these writing's.

Will try Bod-hi next, but I think Bod-hi does not have UEFI support yet, they only have a version for the ARM processor and that is good for everybody, looks like people are working for the RT version of Windows 8 already very good, very good indeed

On my laptop it's new.

In the bios screen after pressing delete to access it during the boot process.

1) On the “MAIN” I' did nothing.

2) On the “ADVANCE” under USB configuration I' did nothing and was default Legacy USB support [enabled]

XHCT Pre-Boot mode was default at [auto], this has to do with USB 3.0 pen drives.

3) I' jump to “SECURITY” and on Secure Boot Control, I' change it from [enabled] to [disabled],

then........

4) I' went to “BOOT” and under Boot Configuration I' change [enabled] to [disabled] the fast boot.

5) On Boot Options Priorities

A) Boot option #1 [windows boot ------] becomes #2

B) Boot option #2 [UEFI: USB Drive] becomes #1, notice the uefi/ EFI/GPT and the reversal of the numbers.

BOOT OPTION #1 IS NOW THE UEFI USB PENDRIVE, THE ONE THAT WILL BOOT FIRST.

If you remove the usb pen drive the system will set itself back to windows boot first and if you look at the bios then you will see only one boot option set as #1 and it will be the win 8.

if you re-install the same usb with Ubuntu inside and even if you plug it in the same usb out port the system will still be set to boot option #1 win8, there must be a simple way of fixing this I' just have not done it yet myself.

I' did not set the HDD with win 8 to disabled, just place it in second sequence.

OK now by doing these steps in my computer, yours might be a bit different, but should very similar.

I' was on the desktop of Ubuntu in live and I' was able to test current Ubuntu 64 on a touch screen, the experience was not that good, Unity worked great (should have more options when you use touch; What it does is normal, I' want more things available when I' use touch devices.

Everything else in Ubuntu is sort of wasted under touch, can't moves pages up or down with your finger because the space provided is not wide enough for touch.

Dash work's better but again, once you access it then you really can't move things to your desktop like you would in Android.

I fail to see why Ubuntu for android if it's the same as this one, would be a good thing, yes sure your phone becomes a Tower to hook up a keyboard to your phone?

I' know I'm missing some info regarding Ubuntu for devices, I' must be....

Ubuntu needs more then one OS, it does not need KDE, it needs Desktop with two choices Unity or Mate and Ubuntu Touch a very different OS set-up. With a look and function like a mix of Android, Modern (Metro) and Joly and in all of them include some version of Unity, LOL but make it so people can hide it if they want to. Make Ubuntu touch or better said make Ubuntu touch a very custom friendly OS, being able to change colors and such. You know some men like gray like in Mint but some Woman want pink like my sister, she hates Mint only because it's gray by and when you make it pink its not natural enough for her, well.....

I’ve decided (maybe) not install Ubuntu and just use it on the USB in this laptop, my other laptops have Ubuntu and other Linux inside, so I' still have Linux, just not touch. Can't wait to see the future touch friendly distros from all who love Linux.

If anybody wants any info I do come by this solved post once in a while, until I' can't no more for whatever reason. OK keep up the joy of freedom and thanks to all especially:

OLDFRED
    BLUKANOODLE
    UBUNIK and
    JPMOLLA, thanks to all if I forgot somebody I'll try to edit later. BYE for now.

Beans

Matthew Garrett, ex-power management and mobile Linux developer at Red Hat, proudly announced last evening, November 30, that a usable release of the Secure Boot bootloader is now available for download.

Dubbed shim, this software is designed for all Linux-based operating system that want to support secure boot and that do not want to get in cahoots with the greedy Microsoft Corporation.

“As of 17:00 EST today, I am officially (rather than merely effectively) no longer employed by Red Hat, and this binary is being provided by me rather than them, so don't ask them questions about it."

"Special thanks to everyone at Suse who came up with the MOK concept and did most of the implementation work - without them, this would have been impossible.” said Matthew Garrett in the blog announcement.

Therefore, if you are a Linux distribution developer and want to include the Secure Boot bootloader in your operating system, get the shim archive from here, rename the shim.efi file to bootx64.efi and drop it in the /EFI/BOOT folder from your UEFI install media.

Moreover, you will also need to put the MokManager.efi file in the /EFI/BOOT folder as well, while making sure that the name of your boot loader binary is grubx64.efi, which should also be placed in /EFI/BOOT.

After that, you will need to generate a certificate and drop the public half as a binary DER file on your UEFI install media.

“On boot, the end-user will be prompted with a 10-second countdown and a menu. Choose "Enroll key from disk" and then browse the filesystem to select the key and follow the enrollment prompts.”

“Any bootloader signed with that key will then be trusted by shim, so you probably want to make sure that your grubx64.efi image is signed with it.” continued Matthew Garrett in the announcement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234