Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

gpt drives have what is called a protective MBR so old MBR utilities will see that it is formatted with gpt. It has one partition entry for the entire gpt drive.

You can install a grub boot loader to the protective MBR's boot area, if booting in BIOS mode with Ubuntu, but then you need a bios_grub partition.

Windows will not boot from a gpt partitioned drive with BIOS so it cannot use MBR.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Newbie View Post
    So as I've been informed touch works fine with Ubuntu on this type of bios, so I'll see if a Usb install will work this time and Yousr is the same Laptop vivobook x205e?

No need to answer me, I will post results but it might take me sometime, I' ve got too many other things to do. You can advice me at any time, I regularly check back here.

Plus to anyone; Does anybody know if the mbr in our case the gpt needs to be fix when removing the install?
    My laptop is an s200e however I beleieve that this is called the x202e in other markets.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubunik View Post
    My laptop is an s200e however I beleieve that this is called the x202e in other markets.
    Yea its the same in some regards like style and options, only you have Intel pentium and I' have Intal core i3 from I can find in the net. The Same "period", what gets to me is why you only had two partitions were is I' have four and I have believe that a partition that has nothing in it, could actually have the restore files, but can't be seen, yet they are there, well You are most like right and I'm not, I to new to all this. Lets see what I do eventually, thanks again.

I'm going to reply to oldfred the moderator cuz he has been very helpful but I'm lost regarding GPT AND just new stuff all together.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Newbie View Post
    Yea its the same in some regards like style and options, only you have Intel pentium and I' have Intal core i3 from I can find in the net. The Same "period", what gets to me is why you only had two partitions were is I' have four and I have believe that a partition that has nothing in it, could actually have the restore files, but can't be seen, yet they are there, well You are most like right and I'm not, I to new to all this. Lets see what I do eventually, thanks again.
    This one is an i3

Code:
    nick@nick-asus:/$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | head -5
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 58
    model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    I didn't say that I only had 2 partitions, I said that I had 2 NTFS partitions. There was definitely a recovery partition or two.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    gpt drives have what is called a protective MBR so old MBR utilities will see that it is formatted with gpt. It has one partition entry for the entire gpt drive.

You can install a grub boot loader to the protective MBR's boot area, if booting in BIOS mode with Ubuntu, but then you need a bios_grub partition.

Windows will not boot from a gpt partitioned drive with BIOS so it cannot use MBR.
    OldFred have you looked at the attach photo in the start of this tread? It has 4 partitions any way of knowing which one is the MBR?

My Old reliable way with 2 partions from the store::

A) First Partition about 100 MB's for Windows 7 marked *

B) Second "C" Drive Partition = from here I' take 80 GB's on a 500 GB HDD

C) I" take 3 GB's for Swap from the 80 marked /

D) I' take the rest as /home

now I may be missing info like logical and primary and other stuff but you get the idea...

OK so here is the problem I now have 4 partitions lets just call them Partitions

P1

P2

P3

P4

in p1 its the MBR lets say

in p2 is a recovery dare not erase

in p3 the "c" drive I will make space to install Ubuntu 12.10 64 Bit and swap space and everything else I'll follow advice as how to do this right from many videos on Youtube.

in p4 more recovery again dare not touch

back to the how to's

get into bios, turn off quick boot, set boot from USB reboot into usb run live and install from live unto a set-up (the partition /home ) that I create during the install, now I' don't have to erase non of my factory partitions and now all I need is how to set the boot in MBR and not GPT and turn quick boot on again, as you can see I' don't know what the crap I'm doing but if this helps somebody else in Ubuntu forums that will make me happy and I'll keep waiting, you see I must not damage this computer iti's the only with touch screen for the moment that i have and I' must keep Win 8.

Lets just say that if something goes wrong and I have to delete the partition were Ubuntu is located, well I' loose the proper boot sequence for Win 8 and I'm barely now learning how to fix the MBR for Windows 7, now I' have to learn how to fix GPT, I' don't even know if it can be fix. So just do a restore from the factory partitions would be my only chance, that is why I'm taking my time with this. Thanks and hope others can benefit from these writings.

Beans

My partition table if it helps (From gdisk)

Code:
    Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          616447   300.0 MiB   EF00  EFI system partition
       2          616448         1845247   600.0 MiB   2700  Basic data partition
       3         1845248         2107391   128.0 MiB   0C01  Microsoft reserved part
       4         2107392       392816639   186.3 GiB   0700  Basic data partition
       5       926654464       934809599   3.9 GiB     8200  
       6       934809600       976773119   20.0 GiB    2700  Basic data partition
       7       392816640       926652415   254.6 GiB   0700
    also mount

Code:
    /dev/sda7      262728796 5704468 243678436   3% /
    udev             1953488      12   1953476   1% /dev
    tmpfs             786544    1024    785520   1% /run
    none                5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none             1966352     148   1966204   1% /run/shm
    none              102400      12    102388   1% /run/user
    /dev/sda1         303104   50096    253008  17% /boot/efi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

With UEFI/gpt you do not have to worry about MBR. All the boot loaders are in the efi partition. If you delete a system, you can still go into the UEFI menu and boot anything that still is installed.

With BIOS you can only have one boot loader in the MBR and you delete the system using the MBR then you cannot boot anything until you repair MBR.

With gpt all partitions are primary and there is no 4 primary partition limit. So no conversion of one primary to extended to create logicals.

You can do like ubunik and post these or review yourself to see what is used. Often the vendor partitions are labelled & I suggest labelling partitions.

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
    or
    sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
    and
    mount
    or
    df -h
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

@Newbie
    Yep the story about twice back to the store is not really the subject. What was interesting was the install/uninstall processes without problems (but not always...).

As I come back to my post I realise something : doing things fastly is unproductive ! Some points really needs much more explanations, You're right.

So, First of all, the point on the partitions (in unix langage) given by Clonezilla.
    Here is my disk :
    sda (500GB_ST500LT012)

And here are the partitions of that disk:
    sda1 (315MB_vfat_NO_NAME) --> The EFI partition
    sda2 (629MB_ntfs_Recovery)
    sda3 (134MB_Microsoft) --> A specific Windows format
    sda4 (200GB_ntfs_OS) --> The "C:" drive under Windows
    sda5 (278GB_ntfs_Data) --> the "D:" drive under Windows
    sda6 (21.5GB_ntfs_Restore)

So I will not speack about "C" or "D" but about sdaX, because C and D are just the visible part of the iceberg... from Windows .

__What are my plans__ ?

First : backup the whole disk in case you need to go back to the original configuration. That is the reason of my explanation about Clonezilla, but I agree that this is not the main subject and could be more confusing. Nevertheless the ability to restore original things seems important to me. So keep in mind.

About the partition, here is what I have decided (this is my choice but you could make another one) : I keep the sda5 partition as it is (so that I can use it as an "exchange" part between both systems), and i reduce the size of the sda4 partition to free space for Ubuntu.

I wanna reduce the windows system partition from 200GB to 110GB. I will not reduce this partition from Linux because it is a Windows one, and Windows doesn't like that others touch to its parts (I wonder why...). From Windows it is easy to do that (from the command line : "diskmgmt.msc", then select the part and reduce).

Then from the Ubuntu live disk (not yet installed) I can launch Gparted to prepare the work for the Linux part. I just create a 4GB of SWAP space at the end of the free space (that's my choice to do that by myself - I love playing with partitions ). Since EFI doesn't worry about the previous 4 primary partitions limitation of the MBR it is not a problem. Then Ubuntu will use the rest of the UNALLOCATED SPACE to create an Ext4 partition (so it will not be installed on the swap part, as you wrote, but will just use it for its swap needs). Later, I will reduce the "/" mount point and move the "/home" to a new partition I will create (that's the choice I made too), but this is not a really important point.

__About the POST (Power-On Self Test)__ :

I use it first as a pivot for my booting process, especially until EFI support is later installed under Ubuntu. You can switch from Windows partition to the Ubuntu one (or the opposite) from the BIOS menu directly. That is kind of magic to me : You install a distro on your machine witch install a boot file (grub2) on the EFI partition. Then, from the BIOS, you can select this declared partition as it used to be for a physical drive in the MBR BIOS version. That's really great !

But as I don't wanna enter to the BIOS each time I wanna switch, I'd like to do that from an OS boot menu. So when Windows/Ubuntu respectly boots (after the POST) I would find great to access to a menu where I can select Ubuntu or Windows. That is the point where I succeed to do that with Ubuntu but not with Windows (and EasyBCD).

I hope things are much more clear to your mind

Special thanx to oldfred for your explanation about EFI. That's real instructive! THANX ! (I am not shouting )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jpmolla View Post
    @Newbie
    Yep the story about twice back to the store is not really the subject. What was interesting was the install/uninstall processes without problems (but not always...).

As I come back to my post I realise something : doing things fastly is unproductive ! Some points really needs much more explanations, You're right.

So, First of all, the point on the partitions (in unix langage) given by Clonezilla.
    Here is my disk :
    sda (500GB_ST500LT012)

And here are the partitions of that disk:
    sda1 (315MB_vfat_NO_NAME) --> The EFI partition
    sda2 (629MB_ntfs_Recovery)
    sda3 (134MB_Microsoft) --> A specific Windows format
    sda4 (200GB_ntfs_OS) --> The "C:" drive under Windows
    sda5 (278GB_ntfs_Data) --> the "D:" drive under Windows
    sda6 (21.5GB_ntfs_Restore)

So I will not speack about "C" or "D" but about sdaX, because C and D are just the visible part of the iceberg... from Windows .

__What are my plans__ ?

First : backup the whole disk in case you need to go back to the original configuration. That is the reason of my explanation about Clonezilla, but I agree that this is not the main subject and could be more confusing. Nevertheless the ability to restore original things seems important to me. So keep in mind.

About the partition, here is what I have decided (this is my choice but you could make another one) : I keep the sda5 partition as it is (so that I can use it as an "exchange" part between both systems), and i reduce the size of the sda4 partition to free space for Ubuntu.

I wanna reduce the windows system partition from 200GB to 110GB. I will not reduce this partition from Linux because it is a Windows one, and Windows doesn't like that others touch to its parts (I wonder why...). From Windows it is easy to do that (from the command line : "diskmgmt.msc", then select the part and reduce).

Then from the Ubuntu live disk (not yet installed) I can launch Gparted to prepare the work for the Linux part. I just create a 4GB of SWAP space at the end of the free space (that's my choice to do that by myself - I love playing with partitions ). Since EFI doesn't worry about the previous 4 primary partitions limitation of the MBR it is not a problem. Then Ubuntu will use the rest of the UNALLOCATED SPACE to create an Ext4 partition (so it will not be installed on the swap part, as you wrote, but will just use it for its swap needs). Later, I will reduce the "/" mount point and move the "/home" to a new partition I will create (that's the choice I made too), but this is not a really important point.

__About the POST (Power-On Self Test)__ :

I use it first as a pivot for my booting process, especially until EFI support is later installed under Ubuntu. You can switch from Windows partition to the Ubuntu one (or the opposite) from the BIOS menu directly. That is kind of magic to me : You install a distro on your machine witch install a boot file (grub2) on the EFI partition. Then, from the BIOS, you can select this declared partition as it used to be for a physical drive in the MBR BIOS version. That's really great !

But as I don't wanna enter to the BIOS each time I wanna switch, I'd like to do that from an OS boot menu. So when Windows/Ubuntu respectly boots (after the POST) I would find great to access to a menu where I can select Ubuntu or Windows. That is the point where I succeed to do that with Ubuntu but not with Windows (and EasyBCD).

I hope things are much more clear to your mind

Special thanx to oldfred for your explanation about EFI. That's real instructive! THANX ! (I am not shouting )
    Ubunik thank you.

oldfred in a moment please.

jpmolla: Thanks, yes It's clearer, now let me see Ubuntu will later come out with 13.4 13.10 and dual booting will be made simpler with UEFI and GPT's and Efi partition which I' think is the same as UEFI, maybe not. In other words they are working on it.

So for now leave everything as is just reduce my "C" drive and do everything as normally just make sure to boot from mbr and disable quick boot also making sure to install; GRUB 2 to the EFI/UEFI partition. I wonder how to tell which one is the EFi Partition in my HDD. Will look again with Gparted on a live cd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    With UEFI/gpt you do not have to worry about MBR. All the boot loaders are in the efi partition. If you delete a system, you can still go into the UEFI menu and boot anything that still is installed.

With BIOS you can only have one boot loader in the MBR and you delete the system using the MBR then you cannot boot anything until you repair MBR.

With gpt all partitions are primary and there is no 4 primary partition limit. So no conversion of one primary to extended to create logicals.

You can do like ubunik and post these or review yourself to see what is used. Often the vendor partitions are labelled & I suggest labelling partitions.

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
    or
    sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
    and
    mount
    or
    df -h
    Ok UEFI/GPT and EFI are all the same thing, I forget about MBR because I' might have repair the same MBR later, so just install grub2 on the EFI partition and Ubuntu on the "c" drive thats it.

Boot with quick boot disabled, you know what gets confusing is when others say to go back and enable quick boot again and still others that have made videos dual booting WIN 8 DEV edition and Ubuntu 12.10 and they go on and on about setting logicals and primarys and all the same as before, before restricted boot I' mean. You know they talk about booting from bios and not regular booting, they also mention the pain involve in dual booting win 8 and Ubuntu.

Correct me if I'm wrong Canonical will soon come out with an Ubuntu that will recognize the EFI partition and ask you if you want to install next to Win 8.

Is ubuntu working on having the installer recognize GPT?
    Last edited by Somewhat Newbie; December 19th, 2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Said something that can be misunderstood

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast