Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

Beans

Talking Re: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

Bluekanoodle you mention that you replace the drive with an ssd drive.

Question was it easy to find and remove since this computer is one of those that does not show the compartment for memory and/or drive clearly pinpointed.

In other words it seems like you have to take out the entire back cover to access the hdd, did it fall apart on you or was it very easy, I' just might go your route after all; After all. All I' want is to keep Win 8 since I' paid it after all.

I' love english, even if I can't spell, lol

want to keep win 8, I know, sounds sick. lol

Beans

Re: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

I have this Asus laptop, mine now dual boots to a point.

I deleted the Windows D: partition and installed Kubuntu 12:10 into this space. My first attempt was with the DCD from linux format magazine This seemed to install but would not boot. I had to enable a legacy emulation mode in the BIOS to be able to boot this DVD. Obvioysly if it is in legacy emulation it will not see the EFI information on the disk.

Second attempt was using an ISO downloaded from the net with which I created a bootable USB drive. This was done with "Universal USB Installer" within windows. I asked the Kubuntu installer to write the boot loader to the install partition (/dev/sda4 I believe)

Once installed I found that I could select to Boot either Windows 8 or Linux within the system setup utility.

I eventually found the boot selector menu by hitting <ESC> while booting.
    Now "System Setup" is configured to boot Linux and a press <ESC> during boot when I occasionally run Windows

Hope this helps
    Nick

Beans

Hi ubunteros !
    I don't know if someone has really resolved this point but it is a paine for sure. I really like the x202e and as I need to discover Windows 8 for work, I would never have my computer without Linux and not just in virtual env.

I had problems with 2 first laptops that went back to the shop for replacement. I think that was not an ASUS problem but a shop problem ! Anyway... I had time to try Ubuntu / Windows 8 dual boot with some little success, but not complete.

First of all, without power on the computer, I do a ghost of all the disk with Clonezilla. For that, I use Hiren's Boot CD from a... USB key . As soon as I switch on the laptop button, I press the DEL button (closer) or the F2 (no defference) to enter to the BIOS. Disable "Security boot", save, reboot and come back imediatly to the BIOS to select the USB without EFI as first boot. If you miss the BIOS menu, don't panic, just wait the Windows 8 langage menu, press the power button and stay pressed during more than 5 sec until the battery light switch off (it means that's not just hibernation). Then try again. When you start on the Hiren's boot USB, start MagicParted and use Clonezilla. Tutorials can explain how to use it (I am not gonna do that)

Now that everything is backup up I can play with the computer.

First of all the partitions from Windows (need to change the BIOS to default values). What I have done is the installation of Windows 8 and as soon as I am connected, I use the Computer Management program to resize the wondows partition. Doing this from Ubuntu has made error which needed to repair the partition. I have let 110 Go for Windows I think that it is suffisant enough...

Then I switch off COMPLETELY the computer (power button > 5 sec). I insert the Ubuntu 12.10 x64 USB key then play again with the BIOS to disable Security Boot and select the right USB. I have read several things about creating a boot partition but it didn't worked for me. What I have done is to create the SWAP (4GB) as use the empty space for "installing Ubuntu alongside windows". That really is the easy way which worked. As soon as everything is installed, a new entry appear in the BIOS (yes ! that's an entry installed and detected in the first partition of the disk : the EFI partition) You can select it to boot to Ubuntu but without EFI (secure boot = false)

When you're log into Ubuntu, look at the Unity menu at the left and select "repair boot" (or something like that) then you have to enable the EFI option. After that you can boot to Ubuntu in UEFI mode (secure boot = enabled)

Now... At this point is there a problem to boot from windows 8 to Ubuntu from a boot menu ? From Ubuntu no, it works; from Windows 8 yes ! Many forum refer to EasyBCD to dual boot from windows beautiful blue menu, but to me it never worked and I have given up. I can do that from Ubuntu menu so that's great.

I am sorry, my english is kind of poor and I wrote that very quickly because I am in hurry but I just tried to bring some interesting informations (if that is) and that with you.

If some points are wrong or not clear, please tell it and correct me ! And if someone has a better understanding of all of this to make it work in a better way, please share it !

Thanx a lot ! and happy dual boot !

Beans

Thanks for the info. Question I' assume "D" Partition was your healthy recovery partition that was preloaded by factory and now you could never restore your machine to factory specs, If not how did you overcome this, if indeed it was a restore partition?

You didn't mention what kind of partition was it that you erase, as per my photo at the start of this tread I' can only see partition "C", I' will try to identify the rest, since I'm on patience mode waiting for future videos on the net regarding this subject, I' haven't done so yet. I' saw one video and it said that the restore partition had to go because Windows would never allow more then 4 partitions on the HDD, yet I' was under the impression that since we are talking about GPT and not MBR, then it would not matter.

Beans

Mr Molla your english is fine, You have guts and all it took was two trips back to the store and you found a way. Well I' find your solution a bit complicated for me, but if this is the only way then I'm going to be thinking long and hard as to how to proceed, so I'm assuming that your instalation is on Partition "C" and you have not erase any partition at all thus you have 5 or 6 partitions in your HDD and/or you intalled Ubuntu on swap space, did not know that was possible, but even if it is your ended up with very little room for Linux. I'm a little confuse as to how your set-up is, is it possible for you to include a photo, if not thanks for for input.

Beans

JPMOLLA reposted you post, I hope you don't mind, just in case someone may be confuse as to your unorthodox method which apparently worked for you,

if I've neglected something special that needs to be clarified then I'll remove it if I' can.

I do a ghost of all the disk with Clonezilla. For that, I use Hiren's Boot CD from a... USB key. As soon as I switch on the laptop button, I press the DEL button Disable "Security boot", save, reboot and come back imediatly to the BIOS to select the USB without EFI as first boot.When you start on the Hiren's boot USB, start MagicParted and use Clonezilla.

First of all the partitions from Windows (need to change the BIOS to default values). I use the Computer Management program to resize the wondows partition.

I insert the Ubuntu 12.10 x64 USB key then
    back again to the BIOS to disable Security Boot and select the USB. What I have done is to create the SWAP (4GB) and use the empty space for "installing Ubuntu alongside windows". That really is the easy way which worked. As soon as everything is installed, a new entry appear in the BIOS (yes ! an entry in the first partition of the disk : the EFI partition) You can select it to boot to Ubuntu but without EFI (secure boot = false or desabled)

When you're log into Ubuntu, look at the Unity menu at the left and select "repair boot" then
    you have to enable the EFI option. After that you can boot to Ubuntu in UEFI mode (secure boot = enabled)

Problems to boot from windows 8 to Ubuntu from a boot menu? From Ubuntu no, it works; from Windows 8 yes! Many in the forum refer to EasyBCD to dual boot from windows, but for me it has never worked. I can do that from Ubuntu menu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Newbie View Post
    Thanks for the info. Question I' assume "D" Partition was your healthy recovery partition that was preloaded by factory and now you could never restore your machine to factory specs, If not how did you overcome this, if indeed it was a restore partition?

You didn't mention what kind of partition was it that you erase, as per my photo at the start of this tread I' can only see partition "C", I' will try to identify the rest, since I'm on patience mode waiting for future videos on the net regarding this subject, I' haven't done so yet. I' saw one video and it said that the restore partition had to go because Windows would never allow more then 4 partitions on the HDD, yet I' was under the impression that since we are talking about GPT and not MBR, then it would not matter.
    My Laptop, from amazon.co.uk came with C: and D: NTFS partitions. The D: had nothing on it. I created two USB Windows recovery disks before I started. The limitation of 4 partitions has been removed with UEFI boot. It is something like 128 or 256 now. There is no need to loose the recovery partition. I wish I had videod the process now or at least taken some screen dumps.

I have found problems booting when quickboot is enabled in BIOS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubunik View Post
    My Laptop, from amazon.co.uk came with C: and D: NTFS partitions. The D: had nothing on it. I created two USB Windows recovery disks before I started. The limitation of 4 partitions has been removed with UEFI boot. It is something like 128 or 256 now. There is no need to loose the recovery partition. I wish I had videod the process now or at least taken some screen dumps.

I have found problems booting when quickboot is enabled in BIOS.
    I' hear you and totally understand what you are saying, I' heard about the max being now 128, but my laptop I' think is not the same as yours, it has no DVD drive and I've yet to buy an external one, don't really want to use USB for installation, so I' think after buying the ext. CD/DVD drive I'm going to give it a go. Your have touch screen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Newbie View Post
    I' hear you and totally understand what you are saying, I' heard about the max being now 128, but my laptop I' think is not the same as yours, it has no DVD drive and I've yet to buy an external one, don't really want to use USB for installation, so I' think after buying the ext. CD/DVD drive I'm going to give it a go. Your have touch screen?
    I first tried with a DVD but the ASUS wouldn't boot from it in UEFI mode. If you want to dual boot I think that this is going to be a must. It is possible that other DVD drives will be seen. Go on, give the USB thumb drive boot a go.

Yes I have touch screen in Linux, but also added "Grab and Drag" to Firefox.

Nick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubunik View Post
    I first tried with a DVD but the ASUS wouldn't boot from it in UEFI mode. If you want to dual boot I think that this is going to be a must. It is possible that other DVD drives will be seen. Go on, give the USB thumb drive boot a go.

Yes I have touch screen in Linux, but also added "Grab and Drag" to Firefox.

Nick
    So as I've been informed touch works fine with Ubuntu on this type of bios, so I'll see if a Usb install will work this time and Yousr is the same Laptop vivobook x205e?

No need to answer me, I will post results but it might take me sometime, I' ve got too many other things to do. You can advice me at any time, I regularly check back here.

Plus to anyone; Does anybody know if the mbr in our case the gpt needs to be fix when removing the install?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast