Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

Beans

Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

When does anybody think that Ubuntu (Linux) experts can get around the UEFI boot problem? I' have a new Asus VIVOBOOK x202e Laptop with no Optical drive and it has 4 factory installed partitions with Win 8 preloaded, its not RT and it has a touch screen. Can't install ubuntu. I know how to shrink HDD and how to use USB drives to install but still no luck.

I have included a Photo of factory partitions they were not created by me and I do not want to erase them. Only thing I will try is shrinking of C drive.please feel free to show photo to all your friends that may help and thanks to all.
    Last edited by oldfred; December 10th, 2012 at 06:05 AM.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

You need to use a USB disk with 64 bit Ubuntu on it. the 32 bit version does not include UEFI support from what I understand

I just picked up the same laptop yesterday and have it running with one small problem. Namely, after installing Ubuntu the windows 8 doesn't load, so I used boot repair to fix that.

Beans

Re: Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu

Still don't know how to use this site that much, it said for quick reply pick from post and for the life of me I have no idea where post is, all I see is new reply, anyway: Question does your Ubuntu set-up have Touch capabilities are they working alright since you said you got the very same one.

And how to use boot repair with usb since the system does not have Optical drive...Another usb or same?

Please also does yours came with factory install and four partitions that you did not touch, I image it so since you just got it. I know I sound stupid asking but need more info since I'm kind-da new.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please do not use large fonts, I will adjust. It seems like you are shouting at us.

Not sure about touch screens.
    But you do have to use 12.10 64 bit version and from your UEFI menu boot in UEFI mode.
    Windows 8 uses gpt not MBR so there is no real partition limit.(ok really 128 max)

Use Windows to shrink the Windows NTFS partition and reboot a couple of times so it can update its own settings. 12.10 will install on some systems with secure boot on. Others require secure boot off.
    If you have a fast boot or quick boot setting turn that off also.

If you have Ubuntu on a USB flash drive, you can just download Boot-Repair into the flash drive to run it.

GPT Advantages (older but still valid) srs5694 post #@:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1457901

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI

different model but Asus:
    Windows 8 & Ubuntu ASUS K55A
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2088499

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix
    Last edited by oldfred; December 10th, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

old fred before I read your advice, I've decided to reply as quickly as possible because of what you said at the beginning of your help.

By no means will I ever shout at anyone in this forum, My english skills are limited, so maybe, just maybe I' fail to put my words as I' write in a more correct manner, but please accept my apologies if and when you feel I have offended you, not my intention at all.

I' write english in a very basic manner and it can come across as shouting or disrespectful in some way but since I try to be as concise with as few words as possible, this is what happens when english is not your primary language, so again I' m sorry for how I sound in writing.

If I' fight with you in these forums at all please enjoy it as a friend, it will never be personal I' assure you.

Friends sometimes scream at each other and even if I'm new at these Linux (Ubuntu) forums I consider all Linux users friends, don't know exactly why.

Maybe, cuz we are all rebels I' think, rebels in a good way, I' believe in such a thing. OK now to my post...#0002

have a Popcorn on me

Beans

Please mark this thread as SOLVED, because with my current level of expertise in terms of eventually doing what I'm trying to do, it will take some time to resolve. Yet the reason why I' started the thread have already been solve by you and the first responder to the thread, it's just a question of me getting the nerve to actually doing it, and its too bad you could not tell me more regarding touch screens, not your fault.

Will keep up with the Ubuntu community until someone reports what happens with Ubuntu 12.10+ when installed in a dual boot scenario with Win 8 Pro in a touch screen computer. I have no desire at all to dual boot Win 7 or Win 8 with Ubuntu in regular non touch laptops: done that been there. For my reg. laptop and desktop I' only use Ubuntu triple booting with Zorin and Mint and trash Windows totally out of those computers, but must keep Win 8 in touch laptop so I can learn it as best I' can. Also I just can't wait for Dell and Cononical to come up with a 7" or 10" touch pad if they ever do. I' know about the ultrabook server edition but thats not for me even if it comes out in a non server edition. Ok so thank you and the rest of you guys and girls for all your help. I' need a Youtube video link that features a dual boot between Win 8 pro (non dev. edition but the retail edition or that came preloaded with the laptop as you would normally would buy it with the healthy restore partitions that come from the factory that can numbered up to 4) and Ubuntu 12.10(UEFI), all just to use Ubuntu in touch if possible, maybe its just that Linux cannot be use as a touch interface, don't know, it might be because of the bios or something. I just don't have much knowledge but my ignorance is not going to keep me from enjoying Linux.

Too bad the web is full of videos of dual boot Ubuntu and Win 8 developer editions and not videos of how to deal with 4 factory install partitions you may or may not want to get rid of.

Sorry for the lengthy of the post but it might help others as well. It seems that I'm making a problem were there is non, because if I just follow the advice you have already given me, problem truly solved, but in regards to touch screens I need more. If you know of any links to videos that can take me by the hand, it will be very helpfull indeed. I'm like V'ger (a child) lol.

Thanks you all, very greatfull!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No problem, it was just the large type.

Does liveUSB boot ok? That at least is a test if it will work.

I have a variety of threads of successful installs, only a few are the new Windows 8 with secure boot. Some of the new Windows 8 have worked without issue, some have had issues but worked around them, and a few are still having issues. So if at all concerned, there is no issue in not modifying a system you want to make sure keeps working.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Oh ok

Negleted to notice your ware only referring to the large fonts, I guess I' can't deny I'm new to the concept of forums, plus since the website gave me that option I use it, without considering how it would look to others. oop's

Yea! the usb worked but at the log on or better said choose which to boot from it wouldn't allow it; to boot on the Ubuntu OS button, just above the reg. Win 8 clicker that when I press it, it (win 8) booted perfectly.

I' just know I' not the only one that will encounter this particular set of variables, so someone will eventually put up a video somewhere regarding how to. So if anybody knows of such please let know the rest of us.

Just in case:

Video should show Win 8 Reg. dual booting with Ubuntu 12.10 on a touch screen and demonstration of Ubuntu on said touch screen being use, Just saying...

As Friend Old Fred stated in regards to touch screens he can't help me there, Yet, But I'm sure its just a question of time before you all will want to try any Linux flavor on a touch screen and some will be on the new computers with the UEFI bug.

If I'm not making sense please somebody just tell me, promise I' won't get upset about it.

I' have loads of patience and will be able to wait for future videos on Youtube and other places about this. I can't help but to think that my problems with wanting a video to take me by the hand as I stated before, its because almost everybody that has already made such a video, has done so with the free download of win 8 that came out some time ago and as far as I' know its not the same thing as preloaded version of win 8 with all the partitions that Asus has put into them and also have not seen Ubuntu being use on a touch screen. I' know I'm repeating myself, I ask all to allow me just a bit.

PS. I' just realize that I've move to what looks like a different subject and I' got my answer regarding UEFI, It works. Just not for me Yet...

Beans

To answer, your other question, yes the touch screen does work. To be honest though, getting this unit to dual boot Win 8 and Ubuntu has been a total pain. I ended up giving up on Windows 8 and putting a new SSD drive on it and only installed Ubuntu.

I picked up this machine only to run Linux on, but your needs may be different.

Beans

Thank you so much Bluekanoodle, I just new that I was not the only one having the pain as you so plainly said. But you are right in other regards, I have other needs I will not allow Microsoft to dictate to me that I have to use my equipment as they see fit. I will dual boot Win 8 and Ubuntu touch someday somehow and now that I know touch works fine I will get it done more so.

I refuse to have to erase Win 8 which I was force to pay for because nobody has built laptops at reasonable price with Linux, Canonical and others need our help in terms of money. I' think they would get it (money) if they just built them and be honest to consumers about it ( Just state if you buy this computer you will be able to get into the internet including all your favorite social sites and you will be able to use this computer for your your childs school research but its not windows ( IN BIG RED LETTERS) and this computer at this price is for gutsy buyers only.

If need be make them only available via linux websites so they too can get funding although It might not be cost effective, don't know. Plus if its at the lowest price possible they will come: Linux is ready, does not need fixing anymore, its time to sell computers with it at a lower price then Microsoft period. Well I' guess I'm just upset and I' know this forum is for helping solve problems not us giving opinions.

Back to the my Asus problem Thanks again and will be checking out the net for video how to's .

Thank you ----more on page 2
    Last edited by Somewhat Newbie; December 11th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast