Thread: How to capture errors that appear on my screen while booting

Beans

How to capture errors that appear on my screen while booting

I recently installed Ubuntu to be dual-booted on a fresh drive. After finally getting an Nvidia driver working instead of nouveau, when booting, the Ubuntu booting logo looks a bit different, and at the point where it'd usually go to a login screen, it shows a lot of errors, all overlapping for a few seconds, and then the login screen appears.

I edited /etc/default/bootlogd to turn on logging, and /var/log/boot.log has logged some info, but not the errors I saw. My boot.log file is here: http://pastebin.com/MWbgfrrr.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to capture errors that appear on my screen while booting

Welcome to the forums. You might try looking at dmesg immediately after boot. Just put that in a terminal and check the output:

Code:
    dmesg

Beans

Thanks Bucky. I sent the output of dmesg to a file, and it's way bigger than the errors I saw on screen when booting. I'm not sure where to start when diagnosing what's causing them. The file is here: http://pastebin.com/vXrhi3U7.

Also, after booting just now, Ubuntu said it encountered an error and if I wanted to report it, which I did. This is something I haven't seen before. I'm not sure if the Nvidia driver is causing errors, of if it just changed my being able to see them.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

bcstrawn; Hi !

Here is what I have done to see my boot messages.
    1. Edit /etc/defaulr/grub -> remove the terms "quiet splash" and in the line
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    change it to:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=text
    Don't forget to update grub
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    2. change in /etc/init/tty1.conf. By default the virtual console logins clear the screen when they start; on tty1, this has the effect of erasing the last screen's worth of boot-time messages. To tell getty not to do this, we add --noclear to the exec line:
    Code:
        exec /sbin/getty --noclear -8 38400 tty1
    2a. grub kernel to boot-> "e" to edit -> kernel boot line add "text' without the quotes;
    ctl-x to boot to command line; log in then:
    Code:
    sudo start lightdm
    -> ctl-alt-f7 to go to the GUI ; ctl-alt-f1 return to console:
    Code:
    sudo stop lightdm
    -> ctl-alt-f7 and on this screen is all the boot messages !
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart 2> ~/Desktop/errors.txt
    will give you a text file of the lightdm startup messages.

finally if you think it is a graphics driver issue look also into the following files.
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log and in your home directory, enable hidden files (ctl-h), and look at .xsession-errors.
    just try'n to help <== BDQ
    Last edited by Bashing-om; December 9th, 2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: update grub !

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans