Thread: File search never seems to work right...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

File search never seems to work right...

This is something I've never been able to figure out in the last 4 or 5 years since I started using Ubuntu.

Within Nautilus, there is now a search box at the top you can type things into to try and find files within the location you're currently looking at.

I just decided, as a test, to type "*.jpg", since, well you know, in Windows if you type that it'll show you every single JPG file on your hard drive if you're searching against C:

This search was done against a hard drive out of another computer I just attached to my system and booted into Ubuntu. Zero files come back in the search result. What gives? Is it because the drive needs to be indexed? Is there a way for me to search for things on a drive that hasn't been indexed without going to a command line? What am I still doing wrong? Just curious; in the mean time, I'm just going to reboot into Windows search again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: File search never seems to work right...

I install the gnome desktop utilities and use the included search tool. I have no idea why it works much better than the built in tool in Nautilus.

I ran a search for .png and got over 15,000 results before stopping the search.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are you sure there's are .jpg files on the hard drive???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    [...]

I just decided, as a test, to type "*.jpg", since, well you know, in Windows if you type that it'll show you every single JPG file on your hard drive if you're searching against C:

This search was done against a hard drive out of another computer I just attached to my system and booted into Ubuntu. Zero files come back in the search result. What gives? Is it because the drive needs to be indexed?

[...]
    The search in Nautilus is literal, so "*" will be part of the search, and not a wildcard as you expected. Use .jpg instead.

From my experience these are some of the things to keep in mind when using the search function of Nautilus, ( version 2.32.0 ) :

• There's no need to use wildcards - they are implicit.
    • The search is NOT case sensitive.
    • Separate the search key words with white space, to narrow the search down.
    • The search is a logical "AND" of its search composing key words, but their order does NOT matter.

So a search for the file "file_name" can be done using the key words:

Code:
    1. "file"
    2. "name"
    3. "name FILE"
    4. "file name _"  
    5. "_ name file"
    6. "NaMe _ file"
    7. "file_   name"

# Note the spaces between key words in the above examples.
    All of the above combinations of the search key words will find the file named "file_name" in Nautilus.