Thread: The Curious Case of Download

Beans

Red face The Curious Case of Download

Hi

I am using Ubuntu 11.10. I use Mozilla 17.0.1 as my browser.

I have been noticing this incident for the past few days.
    Even when my browser is not downloading anything or if I have closed the Mozilla browser, the system monitor shows bytes being received.
    I checked the update manager: It shows that "package information was updated 2 hours ago" etc. So I assume that it is not the update manager which is trying to download something.

My question is

1)is it because of some virus? I have the UFW up and running. I haven't installed any other anti virus. Is it really required on Linux variants?

2)How can I see the details of what UBUNTU trying to download?

3)If there are such downloads, does Ubuntu maintain a log of such events or downloads.

4)Is there any way to know to which location is the files being downloaded?

5)What should I do to prevent such downloads which are not initiated by the User by a command or other means.

Every time such a download happens, I have to disconnect from the Internet," remove" the the 3G USB DONGLE from the laptop.
    When I reconnect, the downloading had stopped and things are back to normal.
    But
    Simply disconnecting from the Internet and reconnecting doesn't seem to help most of the time.

Only when I remove the dongle from the machine and connect it back, such downloading stops.

I am using a 3G service to connect to the Internet and these unknown sending/recieving of bytes is taxing my bandwidth on the Internet.

++++++++++

Operating system : Ubuntu 11.10. Upgraded from Ubuntu 11.04 via update manager
    Kernel: 3.0.0-28-generic

Browser:Mozilla 17.0.1

Laptop Make: Toshiba Satellite C650
    Pentium Dual Core CPU@ 2.20 GHz
    RAM:3GB

+++++++++++

NOTE: I have asked the same question in "Networking & Wireless" Section. Sorry that I posted the question in the wrong section first.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2092622

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The Curious Case of Download

Please do not start duplicate threads, it dilutes the community's ability to help.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.