Thread: Reinstalling Windows while keeping Ubuntu on my Inspiron 1545

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Reinstalling Windows while keeping Ubuntu on my Inspiron 1545

I've been using Ubuntu for a little while and when 12.10 came out I wiped everything on my hard drive and installed Ubuntu, thinking that I was done with Windows completely. The laptop originally came with Windows and it's possible to get it back in the BIOS, but in the process I will have to wipe my hard drive. Is there a way to avoid this?

Beans

Re: Reinstalling Windows while keeping Ubuntu on my Inspiron 1545

Simply no but you can move your stuff to a USB and Ubuntu will need a reinstall

Beans
    Hidden!

Sadly not, windows is a PITA when it comes to this. Best option is to back up ubuntu and reinstall it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys, I was afraid so! Would anyone recommend using Wubi over a true dual boot?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meijin3 View Post
    I've been using Ubuntu for a little while and when 12.10 came out I wiped everything on my hard drive and installed Ubuntu, thinking that I was done with Windows completely. The laptop originally came with Windows and it's possible to get it back in the BIOS, but in the process I will have to wipe my hard drive. Is there a way to avoid this?
    If you have installation media for Windows on disc, you can install Windows onto the drive and dual boot even if Linux was installed first. This is a good tutorial for doing so:
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_l...lled_first.htm

However, if you don't have Windows ready to install your best option would be to back up at least your Home folder, where most important documents are stored. This is easily transferable to basically all Linux installations and is a good thing to have backed up anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mister08 View Post
    If you have installation media for Windows on disc, you can install Windows onto the drive and dual boot even if Linux was installed first. This is a good tutorial for doing so:
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_l...lled_first.htm

However, if you don't have Windows ready to install your best option would be to back up at least your Home folder, where most important documents are stored. This is easily transferable to basically all Linux installations and is a good thing to have backed up anyway.
    This ^^

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    This ^^
    +1. That. It is completely possible to install Windows second. You could probably use a Boot Repair CD to get it all up again after install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans
    Distro

To Mister08, mips, and Bucky Ball: Thanks for these other suggestions! I will try giving them a shot when I have the chance!