Thread: USB woes

Beans

USB woes

I'm running Linux Mint Live disk with persistence. I installed NTFS configuration tool to understand why my USB enclosed HDD get corrupted every time I unmount it. Almost all Linux flavors detect my USB enclosed HDD (This HDD is a laptop internal HDD with SATA port) as internal HDD. Is there any solution to force linux to detect this USB enclosed HDD as External/portable HDD? I tried Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 14 and they all corrupt my HDD after unmount operation. I even try to restart linux while HDD is still mounted....STILL CORRUPTED. It's working fine with windows xp, 7 and windows 8. Please help me.... it's HITACHI 250GB laptop internal (3.5") HDD.
    Last edited by SumitM; December 12th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: USB device detection

Quote Originally Posted by SumitM View Post
    I'm running Linux Mint Live disk with persistence. I installed NTFS configuration tool to understand why my USB enclosed HDD get corrupted every time I unmount it. Almost all Linux flavors detect my USB enclosed HDD (This HDD is a laptop internal HDD with SATA port) as internal HDD. Is there any solution to force linux to detect this USB enclosed HDD as External/portable HDD? I tried Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 14 and they all corrupt my HDD after unmount operation. I even try to restart linux while HDD is still mounted....STILL CORRUPTED. It's working fine with windows xp, 7 and windows 8. Please help me.... it's HITACHI 250GB laptop internal (3.5") HDD.
    You are doing what is called hijacking a thread - this thread is not about your problem. When you can't contribute to a solution for a thread, it's time to open your own thread about your problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: USB woes

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: USB woes

Hi and welcome to the Ubuntu Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by SumitM View Post
    Almost all Linux flavors detect my USB enclosed HDD (This HDD is a laptop internal HDD with SATA port) as internal HDD. Is there any solution to force linux to detect this USB enclosed HDD as External/portable HDD?
    I don't understand. If it is a laptop internal HDD with SATA port, it should be reported as an internal HDD. Why do you want linux to report it as External/portable HDD?

Please explain again!

And what do you mean by unmounting? Do you mean disconnecting it? There is a linux command to run
    Code:
    umount
    and there is an eject symbol in the file browser, that you should click before disconnecting the partition or drive. This logical unmounting corresponds to 'remove safely' in Windows.

Anyway, give us more details, and we will try to help