Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mint 14 KDE Edition

Beans

Re: Mint 14 KDE Edition

Count me in to the KDE fanboy love too. Ditto everything you guys say above. It's simply the very best DE out there imho, on any platform. I spent some time with Cinnamon, which is probably its closest rival from the Gnome corner, and I really like it a lot. But ultimately it's not a patch on what KDE offers. The maturity, stability, speed and features make it the best imho.

I'm using Kubuntu 12.10 on my own desktop and its perfect. I don't think I've ever used a more complete OS before. I put Mint 13 KDE on my dads laptop to replace a completely borked Vista install, and he absolutely loves it. Problem free. I was able to tailor it a wee bit to simplify things for him, and no complaints at all. And that is key. Being able to make KDE what you want it to be is crucial.

The missus quite likes Unity on her laptop, but the random logouts are dragging the experience down for her. Time to go KDE there too methinks.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans

I have to second that what people are saying about kde. A few years ago I had used kde, did not like it, and seemed to use alot of memory. But now it uses less ram then unity (I dont have the numbers) I have switched completely from Ubuntu to Kubuntu 12.10, you talk about fast and responsive, i am actually enjoying this so much, and as its the only OS on both my desktop and laptop. There are so many choices to customize and make it look the way i want it to look. I still have alot of respect for ubuntu ,because that's where i got my start on Ubuntu 6.06. I just don't know what direction Unity is heading when kde is getting better with each release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm using 12.04 at the moment with kde 4.9.4 & the 3.5.0-19 kernel from backports. Absolutely Rock Solid.
    Would there be any advantage upgrading to 12.10/mint 14 kde?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by alexandari View Post
    I was using Kubuntu until 10.10 but since then I think things kinda went downhill.
    10.10 was the first stable KDE 4.x release. I stuck with that until 12.04 last spring which has been solid as a rock. I've been pretty much a KDE guy for about a decade now. The transition from 3.x to 4.0 was pretty dicey, and Kubuntu 10.04 was a mess as a result. 10.10 resolved all those problems, but since it didn't have long-term support, I waited until 12.04 came along. I'm staying with that until another LTS version appears.

I read all the complaints about Unity and just smile.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi all
    Does KDE have something as customize-able as the Mint menu ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

There's a few different launchers available for KDE. What you have there isn't even available in Mint KDE or Mint Cinnamon. It's from the Gnome 2 and MATE editions.

Anyway I would suggest you take a look at the Lancelot launcher for KDE.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Hi all
    Does KDE have something as customize-able as the Mint menu ?
    it has a lot more than just one.

kicker
    lancelot
    homerun
    takeoff
    etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@BigSilly, @smellyman.

Thanks a lot, seems to be quite a few launchers for KDE.
    Quite a lot has happend since I used KDE back in 2002-2005

I think something like Lancelot, BigLancelot or maybe Takeoff may fit my needs.
    I'll experiment a bit.

Right now I'm running Mint MATE 14, that's why I have the Mint Menu.
    Cheers

Beans

Ooh I like the look of Big Lancelot! Never seen that before. Must try!

Thanks for the heads up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I must say, I am not getting bored with KDE. It has been a while since I ran KDE as my everyday environment. The KDE developers sure have done a great job with 4.9.4 and from what I have been reading KDE 4.10.0 is going to be even better.

I really like how I can fine tune compositing in KDE. The alt, tab feature is great, just took me a couple of tries using it to get used to it. Also, it is great being able to control all of the start up apps without having to go to any extra trouble.

The KDE developers must be listening to what their users really want because I have not had to jump through any hoops to set things up how I like them and KDE is a real pleasure to run.

I did not know what I was missing until I tried KDE again. I actually feel in complete control of the desktop and it is nice to have some eye candy to go along with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast