Thread: Is there an Icon Preview Utility?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Is there an Icon Preview Utility?

hello everybody,

from the time i was using xfce i remember:
    when i wanted to change an icon on a panel launcher, i would get a chooser that shows all icons available, by their 'short names'.
    by 'short name' i mean: for example inside a .desktop file, i can call an icon just 'terminal' and when i change the icon theme, the terminal icon also changes to the new theme (as opposed to putting in the full /path/to/the/icon.png, then it will stay the same).

i like that functionality. my panel looks tidy even after changing the icon theme.

now i'm using a homebrew Desktop of mostly lxde applications and sometimes i dearly miss this feature.
    i mean the functionality is there, but the preview utility isn't.

so, would anybody know if there is some kind of icon preview utility, independent of any desktop environment?
    Last edited by ohnonot; April 9th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Is there an Icon Preview Utility?

I have not see an icon preview utility, but it would be nice. I just go to /usr/share/icons or /usr/share/pixmaps and hunt for what I want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

If you have a menu edit/main menu application you can navigate to different folders with that by selecting properties icon picture . I am not in XFCE at the moment, but below is the Gnome version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    If you have a menu edit/main menu application you can navigate to different folders with that by selecting properties icon picture . I am not in XFCE at the moment, but below is the Gnome version.
    exactly!
    the dialog/chooser/whateveryoucallit that opens after you click on the icon in your screenshot.
    now i have never seen another way of accessing it other than installing xfce-panel.

so that's my question: does it or sth like it exist as a standalone utility?

edit: just logged into xfce desktop and made a screenshot.

Screenshot - 080413 - 07:58:19.jpg

i don't need the ability to actually choose icons for launchers, just that bigger window on the right so i can see which icon gets chosen if i use the short name. this is very helpful if you need to chose an icon for a .desktop file and want to make sure it stays consistent with most icon themes.

thanks.
    Last edited by ohnonot; April 8th, 2013 at 06:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

actually, i should have been doing my homework instead of posting here!

i looked at the dependencies for xfce4-panel and found "exo-utils". installing that is possible without installing other xfce stuff. i think it pulled in 2 more libraries. anyways, it contains a utility called "exo-desktop-item-edit", which is 99% exactly what i asked.

voilá!