Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to ponder about...A mixture of Gnome-panel & Unity

Beans

Something to ponder about...A mixture of Gnome-panel & Unity

Something to ponder about...It is Ubuntu 12.04.1 a sort of "other distro."

For those, who wants to tinker...and those who don't like the Unity Launcher, but the Dash and for those, who want an auto-hiding top panel...

The screenshots would tell the story more than the words.

Quite an interesting situation. You'd notice the open windows on the Unity launcher and on the bottom panel.

All 3 panels--Unity launcher, top panel and the bottom panel can be auto hidden. As we can only post 5 attachments is one post, the last screenshot would be in the next post. I could delete one gnome-panel and have the other in auto hiding...

Let's see, where this leads...

Interestingly, all all apps work pretty swiftly!

Good day!

Ch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Something to ponder about...A mixture of Gnome-panel & Unity

There are two more screenshots, which would give something really to ponder about.

I have to go through everything I did, before telling you how to do that. Maybe, someone of you would find a way too.

Once, I auto-hide the Unity launcher the whole screen is free to be utilized.

Good day!

Ch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Pretty cool.

I can't remember- can you adjust the size of Unity's launcher? I think it'd be interesting to reduce the size of the launcher, to match the size of the panel(s).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by desktorp View Post
    Pretty cool.

I can't remember- can you adjust the size of Unity's launcher? I think it'd be interesting to reduce the size of the launcher, to match the size of the panel(s).
    I'd be able to. Only, I don't have much time now. Must go to sleep.
    In Precise, I'd have to juggle a little.
    I hope to succeed tomorrow.

Ch

Beans

Well, the Unity launcher is auto-hidden. Top panel too.
    Different wallpaper here.

Good day!
    Ch

Beans

Interesting.

I'm a classic gnome user myself, but I am eager to see what becomes of this. It might be enough to get me to actually give Unity a real try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyPrawn View Post
    Interesting.

I'm a classic gnome user myself, but I am eager to see what becomes of this. It might be enough to get me to actually give Unity a real try.
    I am also a classic gnome user. I consider Awn dock, Cairo dock as part and parcel of the gnome-classic setup. I wanted to have the gnome panel, if possible the old "one" and have any launcher working in it.

Actually, in this Ubuntu12.04.1 there are four application launchers, standard gnome, Slingshot old & new and Unity. I got rid of Unity's top panel.

The Slingshot launchers are fixed to the Gnome-panel. What I am trying to do is get the Hud launcher fixd to the Gnome-panel. Once, I figure out how to get the Hud part separated from Unity-shell, I'd have succeeded.

Right now, the whole Unity launcher with Hud is there, but in hiding, so I don't consider it is there. If I can cut that launcher, so only the Hud icon would be there, I'd be be happy.

Good day!

Ch

PS: I have another launcher too, but won't talk about it as it was created by a young person, and I want him to come out with it, when he is ready. He had already released 3 distros.
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 9th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by desktorp View Post
    Unity only allows you to reduce the size of the launcher icons to 32x32 pixels.

If it were possible to reduce them to as little as, say, 24x24 pixels, I'd probably start using Ubuntu again.

Beans

Here are 3 more screenshots.

1) The Unity launcher had moved all the way to the top of the screen, making the Gnome panel to come under it. I disabled something to get this.

2) Unity launcher with Slingshot. (I kept the Unity launcher always on position to get the screenshot.)

3) Unity launcher with a full blown Dash.

Both Dash and Slingshot looks nice!

I haven't tried to make the icons smaller in the Unity launcher yet, as even if I use it, I'd have it auto-hidden. I won't have any other use for it, other than making the Dash appear. I'd be using the Gnome-panel to hold my window list. If I can cut the whole launcher to that single icon on the top, I'd be happy.

Ch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Unity only allows you to reduce the size of the launcher icons to 32x32 pixels.

If it were possible to reduce them to as little as, say, 24x24 pixels, I'd probably start using Ubuntu again.
    Funny that, it's one of the things that puts me right off - much too big for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast