Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something to ponder about...A mixture of Gnome-panel & Unity

Beans

Re: Something to ponder about...A mixture of Gnome-panel & Unity

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Well, out of all the "launchers" of applications/places/categories and he menus of all kind, the "old" Slingshot is the best. No wonder why the distro makers try hard to keep it away. I am using it now on a vanilla Raring daily build, and I have taken away the Unity launcher. Anyway, as the Unity top panel is so unresponsive, I'd install one of the other panels, just to have the indicator section and logoff/shutdown buttons. Once, I get the logoff/shutdown and some of the indicator buttons, I'd get rid of that panel too. I can have a nice Conky to show me the date/time and other necessary info.

Again , I'd like to thank the original developer of Slingshot launcher!

Good day to you all!

Ch
    Slingshot is nice, but I am a huge fan of the gnome-panel. It is how I first used Ubuntu/Linux way back when, and it just feels right. Even when I used Mint or when I use Fedora, I try to replicate the feeling as much as possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyPrawn View Post
    Slingshot is nice, but I am a huge fan of the gnome-panel. It is how I first used Ubuntu/Linux way back when, and it just feels right. Even when I used Mint or when I use Fedora, I try to replicate the feeling as much as possible.
    The panel below is gnome-panel, just like in gnome 2. There are two launchers, the normal gnome applications and places launcher and the slingshot launcher. Have a look, the cursor is pointed there.

Everything unity was uninstalled.

It is Raring Ringtail and it has all the desktop effects, which comes with Compiz.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 11th, 2012 at 07:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Funny that, it's one of the things that puts me right off - much too big for me.
    The other thing that puts me off is the placement. If I could have 24x24 icons and be able to place it on the bottom or the right, I'd be sold. I already kind of like the behavior of Unity's launcher, just not its design.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    The other thing that puts me off is the placement. If I could have 24x24 icons and be able to place it on the bottom or the right, I'd be sold. I already kind of like the behavior of Unity's launcher, just not its design.
    I thought I'd play with the Unity launcher, but it is not that responsive. I tried to make it 24x24, but didn't want to go through all the files to find that place. I didn't want a fixed top panel too, so I opted for the Gnome panel, and placed my Launcher and other needed icons on it. It works like a charm.

It is Raring daily build updated and upgraded, but without Unity. Works much better and swifter than all these Cinnamon, Mate or upcoming(?) Gala and even Xfce. All applications open on the click. Boots up very well too.

Now is the time to concentrate on making a distro out of Precise, Quantal and Raring base. Out of the three, Raring has the most modern base and it would be a hit.

The screenshots would say more than the words.

Good day!

Ch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    You must have heard me muttering under my breath ...

I suspect if you can be bothered to learn the keyboard shortcuts it works, I don't - I also have 2 screens - so having the launcher all the way over <---- doesn't help me much. I've a launcher at the bottom of the left hand screen in the right hand corner - sort of in the middle of both screens - works for me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    You must have heard me muttering under my breath ...

I suspect if you can be bothered to learn the keyboard shortcuts it works, I don't - I also have 2 screens - so having the launcher all the way over <---- doesn't help me much. I've a launcher at the bottom of the left hand screen in the right hand corner - sort of in the middle of both screens - works for me
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to fix another screen and check this out. I never could do work on two screens, you know I design houses, and I don't want to be troubled by the other screen, but maybe I'd try. It is easy to take the laptop and do the work anywhere in the house or in the garden. Can't carry two screens with me.

By the way, I use the keyboard mostly, but the mouse is a helper, I can't do without.
    Oh, you see an extra launcher sitting on the rocks? It could be moved anywhere you like.
    The other matter is after seeing how modern Raring is, there is no going back to Precise.

Anyway, your suggestion is taken.

Good day!

Ch
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 11th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123