Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to ponder about...A mixture of Gnome-panel & Unity

Beans

Re: Something to ponder about...A mixture of Gnome-panel & Unity

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Funny that, it's one of the things that puts me right off - much too big for me.
    Like I mentioned earlier, I have no use for the Unity launcher, except to get the Dash working. So, it stay hidden. That's why I wanted Gnome panel working. You can install Gnome-panel to get at the Classic environment. And, then uninstall everything Unity.

The Hud/Dash Unity had made and the Dash the Gnome 3 had done are very nice, except for the restrictions, for example the non auto-hiding top panel.

Other than the restrictions, the Unity environment is just a Compiz one, to which we are used to.

The way it goes with Quantal dropping 2D and no-one-knows-what Raring would bring, I feel that the devs or their masters are just killing off a good working environment. Hence, the try to break through.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Too much work and fiddling about - I just use xfce with one bottom panel with it set to 22px.

Beans

Too much work and fiddling about - I just use xfce with one bottom panel with it set to 22px.
    It is excellent mind recreation.

3 more screenshots
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I think the best ever Gnome 3 shell was/is 3.4.1 and it was helped by a lot of people, writing extensions. It had auto hiding and everything, because of the users. Then, the devs went ahead making it even worse, claiming that they are doing development, but actually putting more and more restrictions.

Thinking that 3.6 would be better, I upgraded to it, but deleted the whole thing and came back to 3.4.1. In the name of development, these guys are making even worse stuff. I've gone up to Raring, but dropped both Quantal and Raring and came back to Precise, and that's the way it is going to be until 14.04 LTS. I hope Cannonical and the Ubuntu devs won't go out to make everything worse.

Beans

Out of all the application/places/categories launchers, the so-called old Slingshot is the best! It works in all desktop environments and is not connected any of them. I can , now understand the fear of the present maintainer of one copy of it.

It worked in XFwm, gnome-wm, compiz, with Unity, with Gnome-shell, openbox, gala and without fail!

I've been using it everywhere, and it never failed!

One click on the icon, and bang it comes up and stays put until you see what you want. you don't have to write in the exact search box, but just on your keyboard, and bang comes the reply! Never seen any UI that works so well yet!

Unity Hud, Gnome Dash, Cinnamon menu, Cardapio, Mint menu, Gnome-classic menu, or any menu or UI cannot come anywhere near it for usability! No wonder why the Mac guys had used it on their expensive hardware!

Whoever the original developer must be thanked for such a useful and universal launcher, which lives in an icon!

I am posting this launcher at work in Gnome-shell 3.6 environment. I don't know, why I'd ever need Gnome-shell 3.6 or 3.8 or 4.15!

Even , when Raring comes in, 14.04 comes in, it'd still be this launcher for me. Unity and all those UIs would be uninstalled, and I'd use a simple panel from Lxde, Xfce or Gnome-classic, just for the want of having "something" to hold the indicators and logout/shutoff buttons.

No wonder, why the present maintainer is so afraid of it!

Whoever the original developer is, thank you!

Good day!
    Ch

PS: I only need the parts in the panel, whatever the panel, on the left top corner & this Slingshot launcher. Maybe, I'd be able to incorporate those too into it.
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 10th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

can you post a thread describing how you did it step by step? I would like to try it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    can you post a thread describing how you did it step by step? I would like to try it
    Yes, I will.

I am doing some "tinkering" with Raring, so I'd need some time to get everything in one place.

Good day!

Ch

Beans

Raring Ringtail daily build, downloaded today. Original wallpaper and even the buttons are on the left.

Unity launcher had been taken off. launching applications/places etc is taken over by the "old" Slingshot launcher. One click and bang on. Response is immediate. No dock yet. Holding to the unresponsive top panel of Unity for the indicators, logout/shutoff buttons for the moment. I must find the simplest way out of it.

The Unity UI is absolutely not needed for useful work! Amazon was deleted. Ubuntu One was kept to show that all kinds of add ons that's been produced for the Unity launcher is also not needed.

The next thing is to make the whole Raring thinner and even swifter. One year ago, I only used the distros, sometimes whining a little, and I never thought I'd start understanding them and dissecting them. Now, it had become a few minutes work. Strange world our's is! Nothing is permanent!

Ch

Beans

Funny that, it's one of the things that puts me right off - much too big for me.
    Me too. Unity is way too big for me.

It also feels slightly unresponsive, whereas gnome-panel is as responsive as ever!
    Last edited by SparkyPrawn; December 10th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyPrawn View Post
    Me too. Unity is way too big for me.

It also feels slightly unresponsive, whereas gnome-panel is as responsive as ever!
    Well, out of all the "launchers" of applications/places/categories and he menus of all kind, the "old" Slingshot is the best. No wonder why the distro makers try hard to keep it away. I am using it now on a vanilla Raring daily build, and I have taken away the Unity launcher. Anyway, as the Unity top panel is so unresponsive, I'd install one of the other panels, just to have the indicator section and logoff/shutdown buttons. Once, I get the logoff/shutdown and some of the indicator buttons, I'd get rid of that panel too. I can have a nice Conky to show me the date/time and other necessary info.

Again , I'd like to thank the original developer of Slingshot launcher!

Good day to you all!

Ch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast