Thread: Re - Ubuntu Spyware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re - Ubuntu Spyware

This morning, (last evening, American time), I posted a link to Stallman's rant on Ubuntu as spyware.

I did this, not to flame or abuse Ubuntu in any way, but to give opportunity for rebuttal and constructive comments from Ubuntu's loyal users.
    I believe it is in Canonical's interests to understand what it's users want and/or find distasteful.

The post was promptly shut down.

I find this somewhat like hiding ones head in the sand, as Stallman's comments have found their way throughout the web with little chance for debate.

Ask Ubuntu also closed a post on this subject, ( http://askubuntu.com/questions/22657...u-with-spyware ), which I find understandable, as it is more of a FAQs site than a discussion forum, (as is our Community Cafe). Both answers to the Ask post gave good rebuttal.

Users should let Canonical know when they see a problem, Where better to discuss this than in the Community Cafe.
    Remember fable of the Emperor and his new wardrobe.

Perusing forum policy, I do not understand any violation, nor reason for closing the post, if there is, please explain so I can avoid it in the future.

If I have in anyway insulted a staff member please accept my apology.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Re - Ubuntu Spyware

First I can't for on minute imagine that anyone believing that to be the way of it will take any notice on a thread in the Cafe of a linux forum.

Secondly - it's not likely that Canonical will either.

However - I can see the need for people to be able to comment.

I've re-opened it - but I've moved it to Recurring - it is after all just more rumblings about things that have been done to death in the Cafe over the last few months.

I've also merged another - and will do so with any other threads dealing with the same issue

Lastly you've not insulted anyone that I am aware of - and I'd probably be aware of that

Beans
    Distro

The thread has again been shut down.
    Again, I believe without good cause.
    I have been perusing the thread and all attachments and can find no instance where there are violations of Forum rules, except perhaps attempted hijacking and insulting of forum members by an admin member.
    I would like the thread to be reopened.
    I do not believe the thread has run it's course, 500 views since closure.
    Nor has it become any more political than discussion on the best background color for the desktop.

Also I am wondering if a member can be given demerits, or be banned, for speaking freely when reporting abuse.

I have not been involved with the discussion and come here as a neutral. I hold no bias on the topic.

The discussion has been reviewed by several staff members, including myself, and we feel the discussion has run it's course.

This site is to support Ubuntu, however when discussions become argumentative or posts violate the code of conduct (particularly the the politics / religion rules) we close them. In this case, I agree with closure.

If you still wish to discuss the topic then plenty of other avenues are open for you to continue the discussion.

Thank you for your understanding.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by s.fox View Post
    I have not been involved with the discussion and come here as a neutral. I hold no bias on the topic.

The discussion has been reviewed by several staff members, including myself, and we feel the discussion has run it's course.

This site is to support Ubuntu, however when discussions become argumentative or posts violate the code of conduct (particularly the the politics / religion rules) we close them. In this case, I agree with closure.

If you still wish to discuss the topic then plenty of other avenues are open for you to continue the discussion.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Not sure I agree with neutral, You are the person who locked the thread.

Beans
    Distro

Oops,Sorry S.Fox:
    My deepest apologies.
    My bad.
    The previous last post has been removed.
    I did not check the date until too late.

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Not sure I agree with neutral, You are the person who locked the thread.
    KiwiNZ locked the thread, not I.

A message by another administrator after KiwiNZ closed it was posted that confused matters.

I removed that post-closure message and attempted to add clarity on the rationale for closure by posting my own.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Oops,Sorry S.Fox:
    My deepest apologies.
    My bad.
    The previous last post has been removed.
    I did not check the date until too late.
    It is okay. Thank you for checking.