Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: difficulty installing Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: difficulty installing Lubuntu

startx on some distros is what starts the GUI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmbarsk View Post
    johnycsf - what is this supposed to do? I typed it and it did not do anything
    Generally speaking, you'd be better off not typing what people suggest without knowing what it means.
    I think your best bet is to go through the thread that 2F4U referred to.

Beans
    Distro

startx is what starts the GUI.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Generally speaking, you'd be better off not typing what people suggest without knowing what it means.
    I think your best bet is to go through the thread that 2F4U referred to.

FYI:
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/l...les/17895.aspx

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think the problem can be in the old nvidia graphics card.

I have found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1687699. Perhaps it can help you to install legacy nvidia drivers ( it seems the newest doesn't work in so old cards) as it is addressed in this thread.

I have lubuntu 12.04 in a similar laptop (2002 hardware), pIII 1GHz CPU, sys 630/730 64 MB graphics card, 448 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, and it is usable with lubuntu to surf web (not flash videos, it is a resources hog, I have to use a special script to convert youtube videos to be in .mp4), doing office tasks and playing streaming music.

I hope it helps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

TheFu: Thanks, I looked at your link. In that thread the OP seems to have somehow got Mint working. I am not familiar with the term LXDE but I installed Lubuntu. My understanding is that Lubuntu is a minimal version of ubuntu that I thought would work well on my older computer. Correct me if I am mistaken.
    Lubuntu is LXDE on Ubuntu - what you want. It it didn't work, then I'd follow that other link about all the fixes for blank screens during installation, especially if you are not comfortable with the shell.

In Linux, the GUI interface is not core to the OS, so getting the OS installed can be without any GUI. Later the GUI libraries can be added as needed with a little typing. I find this way easier to trouble shoot because the OS is more easily available to provide data about what it sees and 1 task, driver install, can be performed at a time.

When I say "a little typing, I really do mean it. Most commands can be started with a few characters, then a {tab} pressed to complete them. Options can often be auto-completed too. Once you see someone else using tab-completion, you'll never go back. To people that don't know about this, it looks like magic.

BTW, I've run Lubuntu on Pentium4 machines with 1G of RAM. It runs nicely. The motherboard for that box fried over the summer and was replaced with a hot, new, MB and CPU, so it is not a low-end box anymore. Actually it is the fastest box that I manage now for Mom to check her email and do some investment trading with over the web. She has never noticed the difference between the Core i7 box and that old Pentium4 thanks to LXDE-buntu.

Beans

Hello Bogan,
    I tried all the things that you asked me to do. Here I posted two pics that show how it played out for me. By the way, do I need to be connected to the net while using these commands?
    [/IMG]

Sorry, this post was meant to be placed in a different thread. my mistake
    Last edited by jmbarsk; December 10th, 2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: posted in wrong place

Beans

Under some distros e.g. Backtrack startx starts the graphical interface

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12