Thread: USB tethering yields slow internet connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cool USB tethering yields slow internet connection

Hi,

I was so happy to find I could connect to the internet by tethering to my phone without installing additional drivers, but the connection speed maxes out at around 30kbps. I think it may be a drive issue. Unfortunately, my phone only supplies Windows drivers, and I usually get 120kbps or more when I run Windows and tether. Does this happen to most folks? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

(This happened on my old HP dv6000 laptop running Ubuntu 10.10 connected to a Huawei smartphone, and also on my current Lenovo g580 running Ubuntu 12.10 connected to an au Digno phone.)

(If there's already a topic on this, my apologies; please direct me to the thread.)

Beans

Re: USB tethering yields slow internet connection- slow download - faster upload ?!

Hi,

Did you find a solution?
    I've hit this problem myself.
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with a Huawei Ascend p2.
    Bizarrely, I'm getting 250KB/s upload speed but only 50KB/s download speed.

I have no problems with an HTC phone

Paul
    Last edited by paboo; June 18th, 2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: corrected last sentence

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: USB tethering yields slow internet connection

I did-- but not the one I wanted!
    (Oops, I forgot to monitor this thread!)
    Turns out my main problem was with my subscription with my carrier. . . As long as I stay under 4gigs/month instead of the avertised 5gig/month I don't run into the situation. Still not sure why the difference between windows and linux though. . .