Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lost password, reset doesn't work

lost password, reset doesn't work

My daughter's kubuntu has stopped accepting her password for login. I followed the advice here @ psychocats website and also tried to follow the advice on this page but there is no line that begins with "kernel".

In recovery I "dropped to root" and entered "passwd -d" then "passwd kiersten" and went through the password change, and it said successful, but then on reboot the password doesn't work, it just flashes then returns to the login screen Advice? She's running Kubuntu 12.04 dual with windows xp. Windows boots fine. Thanks in advance?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: lost password, reset doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by TheChristianHippie View Post
    My daughter's kubuntu has stopped accepting her password for login. I followed the advice here @ psychocats website and also tried to follow the advice on this page but there is no line that begins with "kernel".

In recovery I "dropped to root" and entered "passwd -d" then "passwd kiersten" and went through the password change, and it said successful, but then on reboot the password doesn't work, it just flashes then returns to the login screen Advice? She's running Kubuntu 12.04 dual with windows xp. Windows boots fine. Thanks in advance?
    hi
    i ain't be sure - but is the root-filesysten not mounted read-only ?
    type: mount -o rw,remount /
    and then: passwd kiersten
    change it and reboot.
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

If the login manager "just flashes then returns to the login screen" (no message such as 'login or password incorrect') then it suggests the problem is not the password itself, but the user's X session failing to start

One way to test that is to try logging in at one of the non-GUI virtual terminals using the Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F2 key combos - if that works, then the password is not the problem and we can start trying to figure out why the session is failing - some possible reasons are:

- home partition full or home dir unwriteable
    - user's ~/.Xauthority or ~/.ICEauthority ownership / permissions messed up
    - something in the user's profile or bashrc that is killing the session

Quote Originally Posted by rnerwein View Post
    hi
    i ain't be sure - but is the root-filesysten not mounted read-only ?
    type: mount -o rw,remount /
    and then: passwd kiersten
    change it and reboot.
    cheers
    Oh yes of course, I mounted first I should have mentioned that.

@ steeldriver, when should I enter the key combos? At grub? Or on the login screen? Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by TheChristianHippie View Post
    when should I enter the key combos? At grub? Or on the login screen? Thank you!
    Switch to the virtual console once you get to the normal login screen. If you need to switch back, it's Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Thank you kanikilu, I pushed ctrl+alt+f1 at the login screen and it took me to a terminal. I entered her login info and it was successful. It gave me "last login" information and is waiting for commands.

So does this mean the problem is the "user's X session failing to start"? So it could be one of these probs steeldriver suggested?;
    - home partition full or home dir unwriteable
    - user's ~/.Xauthority or ~/.ICEauthority ownership / permissions messed up
    - something in the user's profile or bashrc that is killing the session

- She should have plenty of space, her kubuntu is installed on a 20G partition and her /home partition is about 50g and she doesn't have much on it. I don't know how it would become unwritable or how to check?
    - I don't know anything about the rest of that list, or how to check it. Thank you for your helps!

Beans

Once you log in, the command:
    Code:
    tail .xsession-errors
    Should point you in the direction of the problem. Also, the "mount" command will show you the status of each mounted partition. If you can post the output of both command, that might give some clues.
    Last edited by lykwydchykyn; February 7th, 2013 at 12:22 AM.

Thank you lykwydchykyn;

It gave me an error report, I will try and copy it here (by sight):

xsession: xsession started for kiersten
    QDBusconnection: session d-bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave. QDBusconnection: session d-bus connection creasted before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave. X-Terminal-emulator: fatal IO error: client killed
    konsole(1947) konsole:: sessionmanager:: ~sessionmanager: konsole session manager destroyed with sessions still alive kiersten a kiersten@-w3644: ~$

I hope that's good enough. The computer is across the room from this one

after "mount" command:

/dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    porc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on / sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusect1 (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    /dev/sda5 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

ps, is there a way to copy/paste this stuff between computers? I don't know if I am getting all the details of these long reports right. My daughter is reading them out to me and I am typing them If not, that's ok. I appreciate ya'll's patience

Beans

Well, the disk is not mounted read-only, so you can rule that out.

.xsession-errors is not as helpful as one could wish, in this case.

Try deleting the .ICEauthority and .Xauthority files:
    Code:
    rm .ICEauthority .Xauthority
    they get created automatically on login. Also double-check the free disk space with:
    Code:
    df -h

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast