Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooking up laptop with Ubuntu to Samsung Display

Beans

Question Hooking up laptop with Ubuntu to Samsung Display

I have windows installed on my laptop, which is also hooked up to a larger Samsung display. It works perfectly on Windows, but once I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I couldn't figure out how to hook it up to the display like I had done in Windows. A couple times when I booted Ubuntu and had my Samsung monitor on since I had just been using Windows, it would flash with the loading screen for Ubuntu on my monitor for a few seconds, which confused me even more. Please help!!!!

Beans

Re: Hooking up laptop with Ubuntu to Samsung Display

Use a program called synergy, you can use the computer which you want to use the mouse and keyboard from and move from one screen to another. It's really good and easy to setup.

Here it is:

http://synergy-foss.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by elhancho View Post
    I have windows installed on my laptop, which is also hooked up to a larger Samsung display. It works perfectly on Windows, but once I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I couldn't figure out how to hook it up to the display like I had done in Windows. A couple times when I booted Ubuntu and had my Samsung monitor on since I had just been using Windows, it would flash with the loading screen for Ubuntu on my monitor for a few seconds, which confused me even more. Please help!!!!
    It should be standard in Ubuntu too. Go to System Settings -> Display. If your Display is not recognized, press Detect Display and your second and first display should be visible, drag the display to the right location and press the "ON" button so both displays are used.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans
    Distro

It should be standard in Ubuntu too. Go to System Settings -> Display. If your Display is not recognized, press Detect Display and your second and first display should be visible, drag the display to the right location and press the "ON" buttons so both displays are visible.

Beans

Question Re: Hooking up laptop with Ubuntu to Samsung Display

Quote Originally Posted by BertN45 View Post
    Go to System Settings -> Display. If your Display is not recognized, press Detect Display and your second and first display should be visible, drag the display to the right location and press the "ON" buttons so both displays are visible.
    I tried this, but it didn't do anything when I pushed "Detect Displays". I have the monitor plugged into my laptop and its turned on, but it still won't detect it.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe I got the sequence wrong, did you press the "ON" buttons? I did not use the double display the last couple of months. What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Beans

Please exuse me if I do not fully understand you, but I'm not really sure what "power" buttons you are talking about? Are they the ones that are in the "Displays" window, because I already had those on because they are the default. I don't mean to be mean, but I only have one monitor that I am hooking up to my laptop, and it already works when I boot windows on my laptop (I have it set up so that I can dual-boot Windows and Linux), but for some reason it just doesn't want to cooperate on Ubuntu. Thanks for your help! (Also, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.)
    Last edited by elhancho; December 8th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What graphics chip are you running on your laptop? Are you running an open-source video driver or a proprietary driver? Windows drivers are provided by the video chip vendor and tend to work out-of-the-box. Getting a second display to work at full resolution with the same sleep/resume and dual-boot reliability will take some research.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I'm not sure what graphics chip I'm using, but it's the one that came already in the laptop. I have an HP Pavilion dv7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not sure what graphics chip I'm using, but it's the one that came already in the laptop. I have an HP Pavilion dv7.
    Open a terminal and do
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    You will be asked for your password. Type it in and hit enter. You wont see what you are typing when you type the password.

The command lshw means "list hardware", and the -C video tells it to restrict itself to the video components. It will give you a listing including the model name of your video card. Post the output here. Use the # button at the top of the posting windows to put code tags around it.
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast