Thread: I can;t get the GUI to start in Ubuntu 11.10.

Beans

Question I can;t get the GUI to start in Ubuntu 11.10.

I downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 and installed it on my Toshiba oosmio computer. The computer is 64 bit and has a double stacked CPU. I cannot get into ubantu in GUI mode. I can log in if I [ALT] [F2] and log in but it only gives me that line which looks like DOS. I have tried [Startx] but I don't know any other Unix commands. HOw do I start 11/10? Please. I have it running parallel to Win 7 on my computer. (I can't shoot myself, I am out of ammo.)
    George.StLouis.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I can;t get the GUI to start in Ubuntu 11.10.

hi George.StLouis & Welcome to Ubuntu,

Sorry our having problems.
    sounds like your video card did not get setup correctly for some reason. if you could go to that prompt and enter the following command
    Code:
    sudo lspci
    and if you could post the output here we may be able to help.. We need to know the video card your machine has in it.

Did the live disc work for you when you originally tried it?
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Re: I can;t get the GUI to start in Ubuntu 11.10.

I'm very new to Ubuntu! Have a live disc from school 9.10. installed new releases of Ubuntu til 11.10. The problems have started, Have no response of cdrom drives, when I reboot or force shut down since the update only get a purple screen. Reboot hold left shift key, GNU grub version 1.99 with a window have tried everything. NOTHING WORKS. Only if I could get my cdroms to work I could re-install 9.10 PLEASE HELP.