Thread: Chrome - pepperflash plugin not showing up

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Chrome - pepperflash plugin not showing up

I've had to give up on adobe flash and gnash for my son's PC. Most websites using flash complain that the version of flash installed is too old and won't run.

So I am trying to use chrome's built in flash but when I go to chrome://plugins, it's not there. Looking in /opt/google/chrome, there is a PepperFlash directory containing libpepflashplayer.so.

What do I need to do to get pepperflash to show up in plugins so that he can use it?

Thanks!

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Chrome - pepperflash plugin not showing up

Hrm, if you have the latest version of Google Chrome downloaded and installed then the PepperFlash v11.5 should already be installed and working ok... Are you unning Chromium by any chance ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Chrome - pepperflash plugin not showing up

Nope, definitely chrome. Also, I upgraded him to precise about an hour ago. Before the upgrade I did an apt-get remove google-chrome-stable --purge to make sure chrome was completely gone, then reinstalled it after the upgrade was finished.

Like I said, the .so is there, it just doesn't show up in the plugins page.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I also removed .config/google-chrome from his home directory to make sure that there was nothing in there that could be fouling things up.
    Last edited by deadtom; December 7th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadtom View Post
    ... when I go to chrome://plugins, it's not there. Looking in /opt/google/chrome, there is a PepperFlash directory containing libpepflashplayer.so.
    Could you put up a screenshot of the relevant part of chrome://plugins? Also, have you clicked on the + next to details near the top RHS to expand the view?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadtom View Post
    I've had to give up on adobe flash and gnash for my son's PC. Most websites using flash complain that the version of flash installed is too old and won't run.

So I am trying to use chrome's built in flash but when I go to chrome://plugins, it's not there. Looking in /opt/google/chrome, there is a PepperFlash directory containing libpepflashplayer.so.

What do I need to do to get pepperflash to show up in plugins so that he can use it?

Thanks!
    Stupid question but is Flash not working by default? How old is your PC? Specs? There was something that happened around the time of Chrome 19 or 20 after which a lot of oldish hardware didn't work with Pepper Flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yes, I expanded the details. Pepper flash is not listed.

It is an older PC, maybe 7 or 8 years old.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Linux 3.2.0-34-generic on i686

Google Chrome 23.0.1271.95
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It's just possible that the pepper flash has been disabled on your computer and that there maybe nothing you can do about it. See
    comment #17
    Based on the details so far, it's looking like an issue with older CPUs, possibly ones that don't support sse2 instructions. The Pepper Flash plugin probably won't support such systems, and we may just have to disable it if the necessary CPU capabilities aren't detected.
    and
    comment #57:
    Merge 145632 to M20 - Disable bundled PPAPI Flash on Linux ia32 when SSE2 is not available.
    Then there's comment #77
    Some of the affected cpus are:
    It seems that most of these issues are being generated by SSE2 unsupported cpus.
    Intel Pentium III Coppermine
    Intel Pentium III Tualatin
    Intel Celeron Mendocino
    Intel Celeron Coppermine-128
    Intel Celeron Tualatin-256
    Intel Pentium M
    AMD Athlon XP
    I don't know of a way to verify what your cpu is but this lengthy bug is where I saw the quoted stuff: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...tail?id=134940

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well I guess it's finally time to upgrade him then. I think I've stretched that hardware about as far as it's going to go.

Thanks for all the responses guys!