Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.10 No GUI at all...?!?

Beans

12.10 No GUI at all...?!?

Hi all,

I just installed Lubuntu 12.10 on my Asus netbook. Upon restart the screen has no GUI at all present, it asks for username and password via console...?!?

How do I get the graphical interface to show? It doesn't even give me the log in screen...

Specs:
    Asus 1225C
    Intel Atom N2800 1.86GHz
    DDR3 2gb
    500gb HDD

Beans

Re: 12.10 No GUI at all...?!?

Welcome to the forums! I recommend you type "n2800" or "Cedarview" into the Search box at the top right of this page for some good advice.

Beans

Try the command

Code:
    startx

Beans

Thanks for the tip, snowpine.

I went and found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=lubuntu+n2800

I typed the following into the console, advised by NikTh;

sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xsever-common xorg
    sudo service lightdm start

After typing the second to last command I get Package configuration message on the screen saying;

Only one display manager can manage a given X server, but multiple display manager packages are installed. Please select which display manager should run by default.

Multiple display managers can run simultaneously if they are configured to manage different servers: to achieve this, configure the display managers accordingly, edit each of their init scripts in /etc/init.d, and disable the check for a default display manager.

Default display manager:

lightdm
    xorg
    xserver-common
    xserver-xorg
    xserver-xorg-core

What should I done in this phase, as I still have one line of command to type afterwards?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DanR01 View Post
    Try the command

Code:
    startx
    I get the following after a lot of code:

Loading extension GLX

Fatal server error:
    no sreens found
    (EE)

PLease consult the X.Org Foundation support.

(EE) Please also check the log file at "var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additionla information.
    (EE)
    Server terminated with error(1). Closing log file.
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to xserver: connection refused
    xinit: server error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sayofethos View Post
    Thanks for the tip, snowpine.

I went and found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=lubuntu+n2800

I typed the following into the console, advised by NikTh;

sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xsever-common xorg
    sudo service lightdm start

After typing the second to last command I get Package configuration message on the screen saying;

Only one display manager can manage a given X server, but multiple display manager packages are installed. Please select which display manager should run by default.

Multiple display managers can run simultaneously if they are configured to manage different servers: to achieve this, configure the display managers accordingly, edit each of their init scripts in /etc/init.d, and disable the check for a default display manager.

Default display manager:

lightdm
    xorg
    xserver-common
    xserver-xorg
    xserver-xorg-core

What should I done in this phase, as I still have one line of command to type afterwards?
    Select lightdm, that's the default display manager Ubuntu uses.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Alright.

After typing the "sudo apt-get install -f" the following message appears:

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required: libreadline5
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Is this of any interest?

Ok, and so after I choose lightdm from the menu there's a lot of code where different plug-ins are loaded, altogether 20 of them, comes this:

Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.sbin.rsyslogd
    *Starting AppArmor profiles
    *Starting NTP server ntpd

And here nothing happens...?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I had a similar problem when I first started using it because it was booting from single instead of generic or something in grub2, try pressing f2 or f12 at boot to get a full boot menu and choose the highest generic linux kernel

It shouldn't matter if you have a few default desktop environments because when you get to the GUI login there's an option to choose which to start
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by sayofethos View Post
    Alright.

After typing the "sudo apt-get install -f" the following message appears:

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required: libreadline5
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Is this of any interest?
    This is not of any direct relevance to your problem. It is just the package management getting on with it's business. Next time you are in the terminal, do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    and it will be taken care of. Even if you don't do that, it wont cause you any bother except that apt-get may report it again at some point. Oh, and it is taking up a couple of kB of drive space.
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by greatsirkain View Post
    I had a similar problem when I first started using it because it was booting from single instead of generic or something in grub2, try pressing f2 or f12 at boot to get a full boot menu and choose the highest generic linux kernel

It shouldn't matter if you have a few default desktop environments because when you get to the GUI login there's an option to choose which to start
    Sorry, greatsirkain, but what you just said goes a little "over my head" so to speak..

F2 brings up the Aptio Setup Utility(boot menu i guess), but what you said about choosing the highest generic linux kernel doesn't seem to show up here. In "Main" I can only affect date and time; in "Advanced" I can go to CPU configuration, IDE configuration and Onboard devices configuration, and Start Easy Flash (BIOS update); in "Boot" I can choose if the boot is from the SATA or USB etc.

My apologies if this seems like a "Mountain out of a molehill" thing, I had no idea Asus ****** me over so bad with their onboard graphics etc... Ubuntu 12.04 at least installed properly, but was slow, so I thought Lubuntu would be a breeze to run on this thing as well. Guess I was wrong...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast