Thread: ubuntu disc space

Beans

ubuntu disc space

Im getting a full indication on my shared ubuntu setup. After I did a search I found df -h and it identifies /dev/sda1 having 5.5gb used and I cant figure out why it is using so much. I did empty the trash as it mentioned per the warning. Also my shared says I am using 76gb. Ideas for cleaning house?

Beans

Re: ubuntu disc space

Can you post the output of df -h as that will help us help you?

5.5 is much too small for a / (root) partition in my opinion.

Beans

/dev/sda1 5.5
    udev 4.0K
    tmpfs 1016K
    none 0
    none 152K
    shared 76G

Beans

Is that really the full & complete copy & pasted output of 'df -h'? Anyway, I recommend to boot with a Linux Live CD/USB and resize your /dev/sda1 as 5.5gb is much too small for Ubuntu in my experience/opinion. I personally use Debian (similar to Ubuntu but not exactly the same) and I have 10gb / partition with separate /boot and /home.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Bleachbit, its in the software center.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Is that really the full & complete copy & pasted output of 'df -h'? Anyway, I recommend to boot with a Linux Live CD/USB and resize your /dev/sda1 as 5.5gb is much too small for Ubuntu in my experience/opinion. I personally use Debian (similar to Ubuntu but not exactly the same) and I have 10gb / partition with separate /boot and /home.
    that's only displaying how much space is used, not what the entire partition has available. we don't know how large is / partition is.

OP, have you checked /var/log/ for any large log files? Sometimes repeating messages in either kern.log or syslog take up a lot of space in log files.

you can run sudo apt-get clean and sudo apt-get autoclean that may free up some space.