Thread: Partition problems/installation

Beans

Partition problems/installation

Hey guys i'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on my very old desktop. I'm new to Linux so i'm just installing it on this old computer to get my bearings a little. On my desktop I have 1 core processor 37 Gigabyte hard drive and 1 Gigabyte of ram and am running Windows XP. I don't know how to partition my hard drive, google didn't help. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Partition problems/installation

I have 2 questions. Well, at least two.

1) Exact brand/model of the PC?
    2) Do you wish to keep XP, or install Ubuntu to the entire drive?

The default Ubuntu 12.04 is somewhat demanding as far as graphics is concerned. You might be happier with Xubuntu or Lubuntu. If the PC came with a 40GB HDD I'm guessing it's roughly 2001 to 2004 Pentium 4 or AMD equivalent, with weak graphics.

Beans

Re: Partition problems/installation

Dell Dimension 2400, yes Pentium 4

I need to keep XP and Ubuntu is running fairly well off the live cd, i'm currently partitioning hard drive now. The graphics aren't amazing but a long time ago, I had played World of Warcraft The Burning Crusade on it. I am currently just sort of dabbling in this. Although I do plan on continuing to use Ubuntu/Linux, this should work fine for the time being to get a decent feel for it.