Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are my partions wiped?

Beans

Are my partions wiped?

Hi, new to the forum.
    I would like to have some information very important to me.
    I used to have my hdd in 3 partitions. C:win7 - D:win8 (dual boot) - E:storing files.

I created a usb key with ubuntu 12.10 booted and choose to install. After the question that setup found win8 i choose not to keep previous os and install ubuntu from scratch assuming that ubuntu would install at (previous) C: or D:. Now after the installation i noticed that i got modified partitions. Have i lost everything from E Or can i browse somewhere to back my files up?

Thank you very much and sorry for the rush but i'm a bit worried about what happened and i can't find any info about this easily..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Are my partions wiped?

First of all, do not use the computer until you have a chance to try and sort this out. The less the drive is written to, the better your chances of getting stuff back.

I just posted these links in another thread, actually. I think this is where you need to look for help with your problem.

Here are a couple of pages with some info.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/18619...ition-recovery
    Michael

Beans

I used it for a while. Unfortunatelly i don't know anything about linux. All i could do is to install and run testdisk. but the options are confusing... Can i run testdisk from the same pc? I mean not booting from cd?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You don't want to boot or use the drive that contains the overwritten partitions. So you'll either want to use a live CD (and have another drive to recover to), or boot from another PC with the drive slaved.

Beans

Shouldn't you warn about the hdd partition modification? I didn't know this would happen. I just lost my life in there. It was a new 1TB HDD. A windows user is used to a single partition installations of the os.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's been a long time since I've done a fresh Ubuntu install, but doesn't the option that uses the whole disc, basically say that it's going to erase any existing files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yep.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

George, I feel your pain, but jeepers, you told the LiveCD to do exactly what it did.

"setup found win8 i choose not to keep previous os and install ubuntu from scratch"

If you'd gotten on the forum and described what you were planning to do, we could have pulled you back from the precipice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeKs View Post
    Hi, new to the forum.
    I would like to have some information very important to me.
    I used to have my hdd in 3 partitions. C:win7 - D:win8 (dual boot) - E:storing files.

I created a usb key with ubuntu 12.10 booted and choose to install. After the question that setup found win8 i choose not to keep previous os and install ubuntu from scratch assuming that ubuntu would install at (previous) C: or D:. Now after the installation i noticed that i got modified partitions. Have i lost everything from E Or can i browse somewhere to back my files up?

Thank you very much and sorry for the rush but i'm a bit worried about what happened and i can't find any info about this easily..
    Do you mean that you wanted to wipe both windows systems even though you knew very little about using linux? That's pretty brave of you. I think most new linux users keep their windows 'just in case'.

Your stored stuff can be recovered if you're very careful and haven't messed with the partitions too much. Don't install anything else until that's done. Use live cd/usb to recover.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Once you've restored your Windows, here are easy instructions to test-drive Ubuntu with no risk or permanent changes to your system: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast