Thread: Cube2 Sauerbraten funky Solo

Beans

Cube2 Sauerbraten funky Solo

Just downloaded the game.

Am looking for FPS Solo No Online,Multiplayer. And pickings seem slim. Always loved the Splinter Cell,Max Payne,Doom 3,etc Solo story line type of games. Or puzzle solving games like Myst,Riven type. Don't have time to stay seated and rely on others relying on me to do the whole team type stuff. Just isn't my bag. Loved the mission orientated as could stop and go do something,make a sandwitch,answer the door,etc.. and come back to it.

But the question with this game is a solo mode with bots. Has anybody here played this game in solo mode?

Is it for Real? with the Bots moving & hopping at unrealistic speeds,motions? Running right past you and widely inaccurate random shooting at you? Really? Had to put sliders all the way to the left with just 1 bot respawn. And still near impossible to get a bead and a hit unless you waited till they were right in front of you.

Some setting I'm not tweaking? As seems unreal to the absurd laughable as bots zipping & hopping thing.

Anybody have leads to more realistic game play of the type I'm looking for?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Cube2 Sauerbraten funky Solo

i played solo in cube they seem ok. i think i also tried cube 2 and failed. don't remember anymore now. yeah the story driven campaign FPS are rare in linux.

that is unless you use wine. there should be quite a few older ones working well in wine.

i think quake 1&2 will work. also UT 2004 - though it's a tournament style not much story in it, but bots come included and are quite good any fun to play with.

i am not sure but maybe postal also had linux port.

edit: yup postal 2 is on linux. anyway have a look here. mostly they are old games though: http://gamesonlinux.com/first-person-shooters.html

seriuous sam is missing in that list i believe. single player with campaign.
    Last edited by mastablasta; December 7th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Yep seems the younger crowd doesn't appreciate a good plot,storyline driven solo game anymore. And mostly it's the younger crowd writing the games. And companies wanting to suck in on the cash nipple with online multiplayer and sell them things they need to get thru the game type motivations.

No blaming here that is their preferences and what they like and works great for them. But seems most do not have the motivation or patience anymore for the more laid back story & puzzle solving riddle type games. More the "Want to Blow Sh00t Up!" mentality.

Well new back to linux from 2008 and running Linux Mint Cinnamon. And least found out my aging graphics ati 4350 at least allows some game playing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i have HD 3650. there are plenty games i haven't playe yet. no time... :-/

it's not that they odnt' appreciate th eplot and such. it's just easier to make multiplayer fps base don anothe rmultiplayer fps. it is also easier to control DRM like that especially if you own/have central servers like for example Call of duty or Battlefield etc.

but liek i said plenty of good older ones play nicely in wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    Yep seems the younger crowd doesn't appreciate a good plot,storyline driven solo game anymore. And mostly it's the younger crowd writing the games. And companies wanting to suck in on the cash nipple with online multiplayer and sell them things they need to get thru the game type motivations.

No blaming here that is their preferences and what they like and works great for them. But seems most do not have the motivation or patience anymore for the more laid back story & puzzle solving riddle type games. More the "Want to Blow Sh00t Up!" mentality.

Well new back to linux from 2008 and running Linux Mint Cinnamon. And least found out my aging graphics ati 4350 at least allows some game playing.
    There are so many indie games out there that fulfill this very ideal (they don't dumb things down). Keep an eye on the Humble Bundle site, as its usually selling indie titles at really good prices (though at the time of writing, it's a non Linux bundle). Most of the titles require purchase, though are usually really cheap (under $10), and you get the satisfaction of helping out the smaller guys, which seem to be the only people left willing to make risks and create epic storylines and gameplay.

Another advantage of indie titles is that they are generally lighter on system resources, so you might be all good to game on your card.

Some nice ways to discover Indie games:
    http://www.desura.com/

You can also use the Ubuntu Software Centre!
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i haven't seen any good FPS solo campaign indie games.