Thread: gcr security problem?

Hybrid View

Beans

gcr security problem?

Hi - I am running ubuntu studio 12.10 and recently a gcr prompt has been turning up that states - you weren't logged in to your keyring at log in time - or words to that effect.

The prompt requests the login passphrase, all of this in both user accounts and the admin account.

I was doing some less than secure work involving dropping the firewall briefly just before it happened, and I have seen a keystroke logging equivalent of this on Windows machines about 7 years ago. Is there a way to find out if this is an exploit?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: gcr security problem?

Thread moved to Security Discussions.

Beans

sig

Beans

Thanks for the link, I am working through that now. I think that I may have found the error.
    In auth.log I have the following :

Code:
    Dec  8 19:37:49 xxxxx-R720 polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for unix-session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 (system bus name :1.19 [/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.UTF-8)
    Dec  8 19:38:45 xxxxx-R720 gnome-keyring-daemon[2315]: couldn't set environment variable in session: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    Dec  8 19:38:45 xxxxx-R720 gnome-keyring-daemon[2315]: keyring alias directory: /home/xxxxx/.local/share/keyrings
    When I check the environment variables I get :

Code:
    GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/xxxxx/keyring-oOGlqL
    GNOME_KEYRING_PID=2453
    When I list the actual process id :
    Code:
    2739 ?        00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
    and 2453 is not listed

and the keyring file is
    Code:
    keyring-Wk2OwE
    So it seems that my environment variables are not being updated. I will read about this now but if anyone can contribute before I get back then I'd be grateful.

Thanks.