Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about router security.

Beans

A question about router security.

Hi!!

This post is not directly related to ubuntu. It is indirectly related in the sense that I use ubuntu.

The issue I have was that the internet in my place was not working for some time. They fixed it, but reset the router and changed all the passwords. Now, I don't think that the default configuration of that router is secure. They have changed the default password and set a password for the wireless. But, that's all. They haven't disabled UPnP. To get an idea of why this is bad, look here: https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/347812 and here: http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs . Then, they haven't set wireless security to WPA2-AES. They have set to use both WPA & WPA2 with both TKIP&AES. Their passwords are only 8 characters long. By default, the firewall is disabled. When I told my landlord that this configuration was not secure, I was told that I would have to live with it and they wouldn't give me the passwords to make the necessary changes. Now, in this scenario, can I connect to that network in a way such that my computer and my personal info are secure and safe?

Beans

Re: A question about router security.

Last edited by chadk5utc; December 7th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you don't control the network then you have no way to absolutely ensure the integrity of communications between your computer and the internet.

Best thing is probably to contact an ISP and get your own internet service if the property owner is OK with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    If you don't control the network then you have no way to absolutely ensure the integrity of communications between your computer and the internet.

Best thing is probably to contact an ISP and get your own internet service if the property owner is OK with it.
    Pretty much this. It is up to the network owner to secure their gear, not the user.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

since the router doesn't have a firewall, then simply run a firewall on the computer you use to connect to the internet.

I wonder if you could install a router and use it's firewall capabilities only, not it's DHCP server.

Beans

I am actually more concerned about the fact that UPnP is enabled.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you cannot secure something that is not yours, then try not to worry about it. Either secure your machine to the best of your ability, or get internet elsewhere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    I am actually more concerned about the fact that UPnP is enabled.
    Though i disable it myself as i prefer to configure my own ports it is not as a big a deal as people make out, it is not commonly exploited and if it was it would be done through malware which you should be locally protected from anyways. There was a buffer exploit associated with XP however though that was a while ago. There was the Flash attack too but if you tightly controlled outboudn rules on your local machine again its not too much of an issue

Wouldnt worry about it too much, if you have the option then disable it, if you dont I wouldnt overly panic. That being said I always recommend secure as much as possible where possible of course, but dont get too worried.
    Last edited by haqking; December 8th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is what I do on my company laptop when traveling - I do not trust the security of other people's networks with my work documents, which are worth quite a lot.

1. IPTables set to block everything, except for DHCP and traffic from a single IP hosting a VPN server.
    2. VPN Connection Established.

Well, the only way that traffic is traveling into my computer is through the VPN, so I wouldn't be worried.....
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    this is what i do on my company laptop when traveling - i do not trust the security of other people's networks with my work documents, which are worth quite a lot.

1. Iptables set to block everything, except for dhcp and traffic from a single ip hosting a vpn server.
    2. Vpn connection established.

Well, the only way that traffic is traveling into my computer is through the vpn, so i wouldn't be worried.....
    +9000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast