Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spreading The word

Beans

Smile Spreading The word

i use ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop which i bought from walmart and it came pre-installed with windows 8 on it.
    i would like to know how to convince people to switch to linux, i mean how do i go about even brining up the subject, i love linux, way better then windows 8 anyday.

if anyone has any ideas on how i can maybe make a brochure or something please let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Spreading The word

I like your idea. There has to be something out there that qualifies as a Linux brochure, but I have yet to see one. I would probably use Gimp for the actual production. Although there are a few safe topics to overtly evangelize, I try to do as little active convincing as possible, through the momentum of a person's own computer turmoil. When I'm installing Linux for someone, it's usually for one of a few reasons:

I have emboldened the main points within my explanation.

They acquired a used computer, with no disk drive, then called for a repair. Some variation on this situation is when a disk drive fails, or when Windows becomes hopelessly ruined and there is no available installation or 'recovery' disc. Once the average person sees the price tag for a Windows license, Linux is usually a no-brainer, unless they had expectations of playing Windows-dependent games. If games aren't an issue, but they're still nervous about the prospect of life without Windows, I will sometimes make references to people putting expensive, decorative wheels on mechanically questionable cars, or, depending on the venerability of the computer, paint mental pictures of elderly people trying to fit in with hip, younger crowds. Practicality usually wins.

Another common situation is when a person buys/builds a new computer and either has no existing Windows license, or transfers their existing Windows license, to save money. Folks very often overlook this expenditure when they're dreaming of their upgrade and fail to prepare for the cost of paying for Windows once more. When the hardware budget is tight, Windows is often several paychecks away for many people. Now that the home theater PC-concept has become more mainstream, people have generally come a bit more receptive to the idea of having multiple computers.

Based on this, it's safe to say that any time a computer is built or changes hands is a potential opportunity for Linux to be installed and it's definitely okay that the decision is usually based on (a lack of) money. Also, you can probably single-out the older computer/laptop/notebook/netbook crowd, to some extent, because even if they have Windows, it's often sluggishly slow.

Let us know if you produce a brochure.

Beans

You can't forget people with older hardware. I have never convinced somebody with new hardware (able to run Windows 7) to let me install Linux on their system, or to try it out. I have, however, convinced people with old hardware to let me install Linux on that.

Most people want the newest version of an operating system, and I can only wish you luck if you're trying to plop Windows 8 on a Machine with 512mbs of ram. But running Linux (even something like Ubuntu 12.10) on it will be a cinch. Plus they're getting the latest and greatest, which is always a plus for most users who like the feel they're up on the times.

That said, I try not to be pushy with it. I'd be glad to explain why I use it, or why I consider it better than Windows in some regards. I'd be glad to let them try it out on my machine, or give them a livecd if they're curious. But I never walk up to somebody and throw down the "I use Linux, therefore, I am better than you" card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donsmouse View Post
    i use ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop which i bought from walmart and it came pre-installed with windows 8 on it.
    i would like to know how to convince people to switch to linux, i mean how do i go about even brining up the subject, i love linux, way better then windows 8 anyday.
    Consider setting up a website with your thoughts and experiences in this area. Not that hard to do (although difficult to do well!) and it is a bit more 'this century' than things like brochures .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There is a site somewhere which I can't find at the moment which has a bunch of info fliers/posters you can print and distribute, just can't find it at the moment. I always have a couple up at uni and replace when they disappear. One of them headlines with 'Sick of 25 digit authentication keys?'. An attention grabber ...

They have tear-offs with a link to info about Ubuntu. I have them on my desktop which is currently about 750Kms away! Get back to you in a week ...

* Update: Try this:

http://spreadubuntu.org/
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 10th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tell them Linux is a great foundation for a secure and stable OS. There are a plethora of distros tailored to users needs out of the box. I always tend to dual-boot for new users, theres no need to throw them in the deep end when their learning to swim.
    Last edited by oracle2b; December 18th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
    All answers are all replies, but not all replies are answers.

Linux is not Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Just remember the #1 golden rule:

Don't preach, mention.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Let them play around on your computer. If they use it for a while they'll see that it's a beautiful and functional OS. They may even be envious of it--see win8 users.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post

Don't preach, mention.
    +1 and in all your exciment be sure to do an honest evaluation of their needs and expectations.
    Then being blinded by your excitement and prefences that fit your needs.

And sometimes my default distro isn't optimal for them. And then will recommend something else.
    Sometimes Gnome Sometimes Xcfe or Kde is better suited for them.

As Unity isn't suited for me and sure many others that don't care for it. So keep that in mind when recommending to others that there are many options out there in the Linux realm.
    Last edited by orb9220; December 14th, 2012 at 12:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post

Don't preach, mention.
    Don't peach, melon.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast