Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to burn a booting CD ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Question How to burn a booting CD ?

Hi
    How to create/burn with Ubuntu a CD that will boot itself in a Windows machine ? The CD drive is first bios priority to boot.

I have downloaded an .exe antivirus from 'Spyhunter' for a very infected Windows Vista machine.
    I suppose something else must be in the CD so that executable will run itself after power up, Is that right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How to burn a booting CD ?

I think this may be more of what you are looking for.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-av-cd.html

Its a LiveCD that should clear the viruses without having to boot into windows.

If you run an Ubuntu Live CD -- it will run ubuntu you will not be able to run any .exe inside of ubuntu for the purpose of removing a virus.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Distro

Correct, I see your point levlaz.

The intention is not to boot into Windows in the ill machine; it is to run the virus/malware cleaner CD before its Vista operative system takes over.

For that, has to be a 'Live' or 'bootable' CD; not just an executable, as far as my little knowledge goes. Please correct if this is wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Yes this is correct, however I think one of the Live Distributions in that link I gave would do a better job than ubuntu since they are specifically designed for this purpose, whereas ubuntu is designed to be a replacement for Windows or Mac.

EDIT: In other words, there is no reason to use your .exe antivirus at all -- the live distribution IS an anti-virus and should be able to take care of all of your issues.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, lev, am not that smart.
    I do not want any Ubuntu distribution live CD. I have a bunch already.

I want to make with an Ubuntu machine, a live cd with an antivirus .exe for a Vista machine in order to clean its problems.

I understand there is some way to fix a Windows machine by booting it with a live Ubuntu disc. That is not possible for this particular complex and extensive problem, been suggested that only the 'Spyhunter' can take care of such infection, and prefer to follow that before trying other methods.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you want a rescue CD, this should do the trick: http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Innernet View Post
    Sorry, lev, am not that smart.
    I do not want any Ubuntu distribution live CD. I have a bunch already.

I want to make with an Ubuntu machine, a live cd with an antivirus .exe for a Vista machine in order to clean its problems.

I understand there is some way to fix a Windows machine by booting it with a live Ubuntu disc. That is not possible for this particular complex and extensive problem, been suggested that only the 'Spyhunter' can take care of such infection, and prefer to follow that before trying other methods.
    I understand what you are trying to do -- but you cannot do it. You cannot make a live CD that runs an antivirus that was made for windows (in this case your .exe file)

EDIT: Bottom line -- you cannot make a live CD to Run "Spyhunter" it's impossible.

You need a rescue CD as mentioned above -- What you are trying to do is going to be very difficult if not impossible using Ubuntu. A Live CD is a linux distribution -- that is the entire premise. You cannot do this with Ubuntu because by default Ubuntu does not come with any sort of software to clean up your windows machine.

The best thing to do would be to download a Live CD of a distribution that was designed to be used as a rescue CD for broken windows machines. The one I linked to works well, so does the AVG one.
    Last edited by levlaz; December 7th, 2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by levlaz View Post
    You need a rescue CD as mentioned above -- What you are trying to do is going to be very difficult if not impossible using Ubuntu. A Live CD is a linux distribution -- that is the entire premise. You cannot do this with Ubuntu because by default Ubuntu does not come with any sort of software to clean up your windows machine.
    not impossible, just need a different antivirus tool.
    1. you (can) boot ubuntu live CD. this loads the linux operating system into RAM
    2. you then install a linux verison of antivirus into this operating system (for example clamav, avira antivir for linux, avast for linux...).
    3. clean the infected drive with installed antivirus.
    4. reboot (remove the CD on shutdown, so you boto into windows OS)

but as suggested this whole procedure will be much easier with rescue CD that comes with antivirus preinstalled.

edit: if you boot from USB drive (stick), you can add persistance to the live OS. so that when you install the antivirus, it will stay there on the live CD on reboot. that way you can create your own rescue disk
    Last edited by mastablasta; December 7th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

What he is trying to do is impossible.

He wants to make a "Live CD" that runs his SpyHunter software which is a windows antivirus I am assuming. (since he says its an .exe) This would require installing Wine in Ubuntu Live, hoping that this spyhunter program works under WINE, and then hoping that it does what its supposed to once its there. Honestly, the whole idea just sounds like a big mess to me.

Your method would work just as well as a "rescue CD" but what the OP wants to do is not currently possible as far as I know.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

There are antivirus products available in ISO form, for free, that you download, burn the CD image -- and you can then boot from those and run the virus scans. Ironically, these ISOs actually run different versions of Linux.

Couple that come to mind are Avira and Kaspersky.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast