Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xfce plans

Beans

Xfce plans

any plans to make an xfce Christian Edition spin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Xfce plans

Hard to say as I am not sure what the Linux/Ubuntu Developers might be up to at the time being. A Christian XFCE would be very nice to have .

It takes time to build a distribution and that varies; bugfixes can go in immediately. New features requiring changes in different areas can take a while.

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?desktop=Xfce

I found this article you might like:
    Ubuntu Christian Edition 12.04 Is Based on Ubuntu 12.04.1

http://www.linuxine.com/story/ubuntu...d-ubuntu-12041
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

Voyager 12.04 Xubuntu based on AMD Phenom Quad Core & Fedora on Sony Vaio

Beans

Thank you for the reply. I might try installing an xfce or lxde desktop on uce and mess around with it in a virtual box, if i have any luck ill post it here

Beans

You could install xubuntu and then xiphos

that's what i have

Beans

that would be too easy
    lol

Beans

Hello

I've decided to try to bring you a little more help with this regard. I woke up this morning and had an "itch" to do this.

To have an xfce version of Ubuntu CE:

1. Install Xubuntu

2. Ubuntu CE Includes the following packages:

a. Xiphos. Available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

b. OpenLP. This is church presentation software. I had looked into this a while back and apparently it is for those who might find PowerPoint (or similar) problematic. Available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

Apparently it can be integrated with LibreOffice / Open Office Impress as well as VLC, and it contains Bible plugins. Wiki page.

c. Quelea. Lyrics projection software. Download page. I couldn't find this in the repositories.

d. DansGuardian. They call it web content filtering. It's a net nanny. Available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

There website says "The latest release contains Xiphos, OpenLP, Quelea, and much more."

It's the much more that I haven't figured out yet.

Because I have a lot of practice with PowerPoint, although I use Libre Office Impress today, I don't see how I would have a need for OpenLP or Quelea. But it looks as though OpenLP has an integration with Bible plugins that might make it more practical if you need that type of program.

Beans

Hi
    This author will confirm D.O.M.'s observation about integration of OpenLP with LO and VLC.

Re: the need for OpenLP:

It does "automate" things a bit in terms of inserting hymn text and Biblical text, etc. as observed by D.O.M. .

However, it also is not that amenable to tweaking the presentation as can be done with LO Impress. And also, it just has a.... hard to describe... "heavieness" about it.

But, if one approaches things relatively simply and wants an "automated" approach that any, relatively untrained, person could use then yes OpenLP does a good job.

prism01
    We all view the world through a prism, I respect yours, please respect mine.

Beans

If you need the web filtering capabilities then I believe the UCE web filtering is based off this article (someone correct me if I'm wrong),

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/web...ing-made-easy/

and it uses the UFW option for redirection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jbobdorman View Post
    any plans to make an xfce Christian Edition spin?
    yes...but in the distant future.
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DukeOfMixture View Post
    Hello

I've decided to try to bring you a little more help with this regard. I woke up this morning and had an "itch" to do this.

To have an xfce version of Ubuntu CE:

1. Install Xubuntu

2. Ubuntu CE Includes the following packages:

a. Xiphos. Available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

b. OpenLP. This is church presentation software. I had looked into this a while back and apparently it is for those who might find PowerPoint (or similar) problematic. Available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

Apparently it can be integrated with LibreOffice / Open Office Impress as well as VLC, and it contains Bible plugins. Wiki page.

c. Quelea. Lyrics projection software. Download page. I couldn't find this in the repositories.

d. DansGuardian. They call it web content filtering. It's a net nanny. Available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

There website says "The latest release contains Xiphos, OpenLP, Quelea, and much more."

It's the much more that I haven't figured out yet.

Because I have a lot of practice with PowerPoint, although I use Libre Office Impress today, I don't see how I would have a need for OpenLP or Quelea. But it looks as though OpenLP has an integration with Bible plugins that might make it more practical if you need that type of program.

Hi,DukeOfMixture
    Why do you want/feel the need for dansguardian ( net nanny )?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast