Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NO Audio over HDMI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: NO Audio over HDMI

That looks like a box of trouble for a HTPC build because of audio & video decode/driver problems..

To get the HDA HDMI audio:
    You might get lucky with kernel 3.5 & the open source Radeon driver (using by default)
    http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature...Radeon_Drivers

I believe your fusion E-350 CPU is a N.Island r600g.

Just recently it had even looked like AMD had dropped linux support.

Beans

Actually I have to say I'm very pleased with the box thus far. My issues were completely self inflicted... And caused by my desire to have a Linux OS instead of Windows.....but not the knowledge to do the install.

I started out Linux-clueless... ...and yet was able to get it up and running THANKS in large part to my fellow forum members here & at a couple of other sites. In conjunction with my Epson projector & HD Homerun Prime... This tiny Foxconn unit gives this cable-reducer (paying $14 for basic cable only) basic TV with PVR capability in under 30 seconds....along with the ability to surf, etc if I so desire. I'd be lucky to see a Windows logo in that amount of boot time.

With basic Linux knowledge, I think this setup would have been fairly straight-forward.

Thanks again all!
    Larry
    Last edited by jl3comp; December 8th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't get me wrong..
    Most mythtv/mythbuntu people here are interested in low power cheap mobos & even more interested in others successes.

Have you tried using VA-API with MythTV ?

Beans

No...what is that? (and if I came across snippy, BicyclerBoy....it wasn't intended. I appreciate ALL help on these sites....truly. As I said earlier....without the others that cared enough to send replies....I would have had no choice but to load Windows and been annoyed every time I booted up and waited.....and waited....)

I'm a COMPLETE NOOB to Linux. This was my first taste other that a brief "boot from cd" try a few years back. I've been a PC guy forever....and building my own since the first early Pentium days. But the where's, how's and why's of Linux have to be spoon fed on the "....for Dummies" level at this point.

I will stay with it. I was like a little kid on Christmas....it was quite a rush..... when the sound first roared from the surround system yesterday. I've always loved a mental challenge.

.....and then there's the whole..."sticking it to the man" thingie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Need to be careful, the problem solving & the challenge becomes more enjoyable than the end result...

I should add about HDMI audio & radeon N.Island ..you need kernel >=3.5 and grub boot parameter:
    radeon.audio=1

VA-API is an API for video decode in h/w.

There are few things in linux more confusing than history of the ATI/AMD drivers altho the intel poulsbo must run close 2nd.

There are multiple drivers for AMD radeon gfx. You are probably using the default "radeon" open source driver.

The AMD catalyst driver provides an XvBA interface to VA-API.
    XvBA is AMD video decode using UVD & shaders for linux.

The radeon driver (open source) uses 3d engine (not UVD yet).
    The radeon driver supports VA-API & VDPAU.
    This VA-API support is not complete & does not yet use the UVD engine (decoder ASIC).

To use VAAPI with the proprietary Catalyst XvBA needs package:
    xvba-va-driver

I doubt you would get much satisfaction from VA-API without later kernel &, sadly, the proprietary driver.
    The xorg-edgers ppa is a good place to update graphics drivers & still be reasonably mainstream.

or this ? (I have not used this.)
    https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba

Can test the VA-API configuration with
    vainfo

Beans

At this point....everything is running well. I think I'll let it be...

for now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jl3comp View Post
    At this point....everything is running well. I think I'll let it be...

for now.
    Very wise!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12