Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epiphany flash issue

Beans

Lubuntu / Epiphany flash issue

Hi, all

I've been happily using Epiphany for ages, and everything seemed to be working well. LAst week, Epiphany talked to Flash nicely, and played video clips. Today, it doesn't. If I try to play a clip, I'm told there is a missing plugin.

I have multiple browsers on this computer, and they play clips fine. The problem seem to be local to Epiphany, and arose in the last few days. Updates were downloaded the other night, and there was a disc check during boot today, but I don't see how this could have affected things.

Epiphany extensions are installed. I have tried removing and reinstalling. I feel I'm missing something simple. Tell me what it is.
    Last edited by lurgee; February 23rd, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Epiphany flash issue

This may help - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852167

I must admit I just like Chromium in Lubuntu, quiet light and doesn't memory leak, plays flash too.

For How-To's, Information and Screen-Casts on Lubuntu go to the
    Lubuntu One Stop Thread -

Lubuntu One Stop Thread

Rodney

Beans

Thanks for pointing m in the direction of that thread, but reconfiguring flash plugin didn't resolve (I've rebooted since then, just to give it a fair shot).

The problem doesn't seem to be with flash per se, as I have Seamonkey on this computer, and it runs fine. I downloaded Firefox as well, as a test for flash, and it also worked well. Only Epiphany seems to be having trouble.

I didn't like Chrome/Chromium all that much - it might sound odd, but I always felt I might somehow break the browser if I pressed the buttons too hard. Epiphany - while it has its faults - felt a bit more robust. Only it won't play videos, all of a sudden.

Beans

Bump.

There seem to be a couple of other people experiencing flash related problems, post upgrade.

Beans

Just ran
    $ nspluginwrapper -v -n -a -i
    And got the following result:
    Auto-install plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    Looking for plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Auto-install plugins from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    Looking for plugins in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Auto-install plugins from /home/jt/.mozilla/plugins
    Looking for plugins in /home/jt/.mozilla/plugins
    Does this shed any light on anything for anyone? All I can see is that my elves are erring. Bloody little tykes, I knew I was being too lenient on them ...

Beans

Finally managed to work my way to a solution on this.

1 - I purged flash from my laptop. I have no idea what the technical aspects are, but it boils down to Flash and Epiphany not liking each other. I used the following series of commands:
    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npwrapper*flash*so
    rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*so
    2 - Then I installed gnash through symantic, and the 'Browser-plugin-gnash' package.

3 - This still didn't work, but after putting a check against the HTML5TUBE plugin on Epiphany (TOOLS > PLUGINS > check the box that says HTML5TUBE). I'd checked and unchecked this box a million times over the last few days, but finally seemed to have got everything right ... Success!!
    Last edited by lurgee; February 23rd, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Beans

I don't think the issue is resolved. HTML5 Youtube works for most videos without any flash plugin at all (be it adobe, gnash, lightspark or whatever...). HTML5 Youtube can be enabled through www.youtube.com/html5, which I think is the same as enabling the HTML5tube extension.

I have the same problem as the original poster. I can view most videos on www.youtube.com and www.vimeo.com through html5. Some videos enforce sponsoring and need flash (on youtube at least...). Grooveshark.com complains there's no flash available when I have "Enable Plugins" disabled in the privacy tab of the options dialog and works when I enable this option. So, it seems that flash is available within epiphany, just not for video.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

as much of a pain as flash can be, almost still have to have it sometimes, at least.

you mean it is possible to get flash to work in epiphany? never thought i'd hear of the day!

epiphany could be a killer browser, just for the simplicity of it, but it always seems to be a day late and dollar short in areas you need it to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Why is this thread marked SOLVED? It's not solved at all - people want to use *Flash* which is not just used in YouTube. It's awesome that YouTube is using HTML5 - would that *everyone* were doing that (e.g., Hulu, etc.) But they just don't. At the risk of sounding snarky, I'm pretty sure GNOME and KDE people don't actually ever use the internet (though, to be fair, Epiphany has improved a *lot* - you can now use Google Drive. I never thought I'd see the day when it was that useful.) If the Epiphany developers could just address the gaping holes in this nice application it'd be great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mdye View Post
    ... If the Epiphany developers could just address the gaping holes in this nice application it'd be great.
    You could start your own thread with specifics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast