Thread: LibreOffice <-> MSFT Office 2010

Beans

LibreOffice <-> MSFT Office 2010

you would think MSFT/Office 2010 would accept .odt documents from LibreOffice

I just put a brand-new copy of MSFT/Office 2010 on my daughter's laptop. it reports "document is corrupt" and will not load .doc or .odt format documents from LibreOffice

any help notes on this ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: LibreOffice <-> MSFT Office 2010

Of course MS will never really support ODF! Allowing users to do so would also allow them to switch very easily to other suites than MS Office!

If a free (as in beer) software can handle such files, why pay for a MS Office version? Since the features would be limited to the capabilities of the file format, there would be no real advantage using MS Office anyway. Except if MSO implements compatible features that others don't.

The only way to make MSO support ODF IMHO would come from national institutions requiring the mandatory use of ODF.

As for .doc, this is vendor lock-in policy. Import/export filters have been reverse engineered and there may be some small glitch that makes MSO detect that this is not a genuine .doc (coming from MSO). But basically, for simple document, it should work.

You can try to install AOO with the .debs so that it runs in parallel with LO if you want to keep it. See: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    you would think MSFT/Office 2010 would accept .odt documents from LibreOffice

I just put a brand-new copy of MSFT/Office 2010 on my daughter's laptop. it reports "document is corrupt" and will not load .doc or .odt format documents from LibreOffice

any help notes on this ?
    never had any problems with it, if you had Office 2007 you needed SP2 before it would but in 2010 they work fine generally or do for me
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Worked fine for me. If the files are from another machine, Windows might have blocked them "for security reasons."

See here:
    http://superuser.com/questions/38476...the-files-in-a
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Worked fine for me. If the files are from another machine, Windows might have blocked them "for security reasons."

See here:
    http://superuser.com/questions/38476...the-files-in-a
    Try this: create an .odt by clipping a cite from a web page -- including a graphic

msft/word rejected this as "corrupted" -- either in .odt or even on .doc format**

another document we had trouble with simply included a graphic screen shot
    ~~~

i find this troubling as it was my understanding msft had agreed to conform to ISO standards for Office documents.

this would allow students* to use LibreOffice instead of needing to purchase the office/student pack

*i am dealing with a student issue here. i had to buy her the office/student pack (she's my daughter) .

**we did "sneakernet" the document on a thumb-drive.

Beans

Try this: create an .odt by clipping a cite from a web page -- including a graphic

msft/word rejected this as "corrupted" -- either in .odt or even on .doc format**

~~~

i find this troubling as it was my understanding msft had agreed to conform to ISO standards for Office documents.

this would allow students* to use LibreOffice instead of needing to purchase the office/student pack

*i am dealing with a student issue here. i had to buy her the office/student pack (she's my daughter) .

**we did "sneakernet" the document on a thumb-drive.

yes it works fine, Microsoft are not a big bad meanie ! LOL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just tested it with LO 3 but pasting a screencap into a odt, doc and docx and Word was able to open all of them. I did get a "The file LO-odf cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents" message when trying to open the odt file, but after clicking OK, word asked to try to recover the document and it worked fine.

If you want cross platform compatibility use doc.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

we are under !!!!! pressure because of this math class.

there is not time to fuss with stuff that doesn't work.

Beans

we are under !!!!! pressure because of this math class.

there is not time to fuss with stuff that doesn't work.
    Feel free to contact Microsoft and complain, I don't think there are many customer service representatives from them around this forum

You could always use LIbreoffice to open the document seeing as it was made in it, why did you buy MSFT office in the first place , what is the requirement to open it in MSFT office, if there is one then open it in Libreoffice and save it as .doc

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; December 7th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

pdf

PDF is also a good format for finished documents that won't be edited again.