Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wine: The following packages have unmet dependencies

Beans

Re: Wine: The following packages have unmet dependencies

I'm using a12.10 amd64... that may be the case as you suggested. I have dual boot on the computer, but I wanted a way to be free from the Windows OS and use wine for the classes that I absolutely needed to use a MS program. I suppose I may have to wait until a patch comes through for 12.10...

Beans

I downloaded all of the missing packages, but a error code still came up regarding the version of ubuntu I am using the error is:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    wine1.4 : Depends: wine1.4-i386 (= 1.4.1-0ubuntu1) but it is not installable

I am assuming wine doesn't yet support ubuntu 12.10...
    I installed virtualbox instead, does anyone have any good links or instructions for installing windows 7 through virtualbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mrc1503 View Post
    I downloaded all of the missing packages, but a error code still came up regarding the version of ubuntu I am using the error is:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    wine1.4 : Depends: wine1.4-i386 (= 1.4.1-0ubuntu1) but it is not installable

I am assuming wine doesn't yet support ubuntu 12.10...
    I installed virtualbox instead, does anyone have any good links or instructions for installing windows 7 through virtualbox?
    Wine should work in ubuntu 12.10, it just sounds like there are issues with the 64 bit side for some reason.

Vbox has an easy step-by-step install creation wizard and Win7 is on the list. Hit up google and youtube there are plenty of windows 7 in virtualbox guides out there. Don't forget to install the vbox guest additions after you get installed or you'll be missing some features.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

Angry Re: Wine: The following packages have unmet dependencies

I have the same issue as mrc1503 . hope to find a solution

Beans

Yep same here 64bit and No Wine So thought to Whine Here !
    Hope for a fix soon.

Beans

So after days of head banging code and fixes I finally came to the conclusion that its 12.10. I /unistalled 12.10, installed 12.04.1 LTS. Everything was smooth. Ran my

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and everything checked out ok. I should also point out (because i saw some people say they did NOT have an option to choose x64 or x32 OS versions) i am running x64. Wubi will give you the choice from the WEBSITE pre install. Now, after running updates, I downloaded and updated all Drivers. So from this point I have a fresh 12.04.1 LTS x64 install with all updates and drivers. The exact same place i was when i could not get wine to install last time. I then

Code:
     sudo apt-get install wine
    and Boom. Good 2 go. Not sure if 12.10 is just still new and wine hasnt updated but it works perfect on my machine now. I'm even able to run World of Warcraft from my Win7 folder directly using these steps:

Code:
    For the purpose you want, you actually do not  need to copy the files over. you can run WOW from within the windows  partition. What you really have to do is the following to have  everything working as it should:

1. Install the PPA for WINE. You HAVE TO install the PPA which is much better. More info here: How to update Wine to the latest version?
    2. Install using winetricks (After having installed Wine) all DirectX 9 components. Since the release of Wine 1.4, you can just install the DirectX that comes with any Windows CD/DVD (eg: The DirectX 10 that comes with Skyrim). That should be enough to get DirectX working.
    3. Install the latest drivers for Intel, Nvidia or Ati. All of which you can find/install with this PPA: How do I install the latest Nvidia drivers via the Additional Drivers tool?
    4. Follow this link with any additional relevant information about WoW: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=25610
    5. Create a desktop shortcut/launcher as mentioned in this question to have a working one click icon: How can I edit/create new launcher items in Unity by hand? (Easy way here: http://askubuntu.com/a/128284/7035 )
    6. Edit the Desktop shortcut and in the command line type: wine "DIR" -opengl where DIR is the complete location of your Wow.exe file. For example in my case wine "/media/fun/games/World of Warcraft/Wow.exe" -opengl". The OpenGL is to give you more available graphics options. You can also remove it but for most video cards it is better to have it there to make the game run smoother.
    If you still want to copy the Wow folder, you can put it on your Ubuntu home folder and do the same steps mentioned before. Just wanted to point out that you can run the game from the same Windows partition, does saving you space and time.
    found here http://askubuntu.com/questions/13933...untu-partition

Wow runs better now than it did in my Win7 partition with Wine and its literally a click away. Easy enough.

Sorry if this is crazy to keep up with, Im in a hurry to leave work but wanted to share this in hopes it would help someone as well. Ill check back in a little while to fix errors/spelling ect. If you have a question on my process feel free to PM me.

Beans

Yes, I have the same problem as the OP. Same operating system. Same Wubi install.
    Same errors.

Any other suggestions besides what the last posts suggests?

First ever foray into Linux. Really like it and have been tweaking for a few days to
    get it where I liked it more. Wanted to use Wine to run Photoshop and starting getting
    all the unmet dependencies.Will keep googling for a fix. Any help appreciated. Just remember I'm really green at this, but learning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To those still using wine1.4, you'd better to try the latest 1.5.19 (the "unstable" version works better than the "stable" with recent hardware/games/... and think to glance at :

- winehq site to know how to get it
    - winetricks site for additional needs (first find your app feedback into the winehq/appbase)

http://wiki.winehq.org/FrontPage
    Last edited by dino99; December 13th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Beans

Ok, have found a solution that worked for me. I have a wubi install of ubunti 12.10 on windows 7 pro 64bit. After following the advise in this link, wine 1.5 installed.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post12402510

and I'm so new to linux I didn't know how to navigate and accept the graphical
    user interface inside a terminal window that you get when you try to install so
    I'll add a link to that too incase anyone is as green as me to linux.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16225...onts-installer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12