Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to recover lost data

Beans

How to recover lost data

i recently installed lubuntu by overwriting over windows 7.
    to make it clearer, i have lubuntu as my operatins system no dual boot...only a single OS.
    Now , as far as i have heard,when you install a new os over your current os, only the partition in which the os is installed is formatted. but i dont know how, but my entire hard disk was formatted !! the entire 160 gb !! Among the formatted data were many movies and photos clicked over 6 years :'(.. how do i recover them , or atleast most of them??
    please help...they are really sentimental..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: How to recover lost data

If you used option 2 in the screen shot I think you are out of luck.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaQ View Post
    i recently installed lubuntu by overwriting over windows 7.
    to make it clearer, i have lubuntu as my operatins system no dual boot...only a single OS.
    Now , as far as i have heard,when you install a new os over your current os, only the partition in which the os is installed is formatted. but i dont know how, but my entire hard disk was formatted !! the entire 160 gb !! Among the formatted data were many movies and photos clicked over 6 years :'(.. how do i recover them , or atleast most of them??
    please help...they are really sentimental..
    First things first, stop using the drive; do not boot from it, do not write to it.

There are programs such as photorec, which are quite good, but in my opinion getdataback for ntfs is the best software for recovering data from NTFS partitions. You won't recover data that's been over-written, but you'll probably be able to get back the rest of it.

It's not free, but I believe there is a trial, so you can at least find out if it would recover any data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The same company that sells GetDataBack sells RecoverMyFiles -- and like the former, you can download a trial version, install it to a Windows PC, connect your drive, run it against that drive -- and see what it finds.

IF it finds your files, you will have to go online to purchase a license to do the actual recovery.

Last time I checked, the license was around $80 USD.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I used the second option and erased disk..any luck??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The above posts are your best chance. I have a program that can find deleted files but it only works in a Windows installation. Once the free space is wiped or the disk is formated it's useless.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

The same company that sells GetDataBack sells RecoverMyFiles -- and like the former, you can download a trial version, install it to a Windows PC, connect your drive, run it against that drive -- and see what it finds.

IF it finds your files, you will have to go online to purchase a license to do the actual recovery.

Last time I checked, the license was around $80 USD.
    You mean I remove my HDD from my PC, and connect it to another PC running windows and then run the program??

Beans

As you have installed new OS so some of your files are overwritten now and can't be recovered with the help of any software. For maximum chances of recovery stop using the PC and uninstall the drive and connect that drive as an external drive to some other system running Windows. Now download and install a software called Kernel for Windows Data Recovery and then scan the drive for recovery options available. I had good experience with this tool in the past and recovered almost 100 GB of data.

Beans

This gives me hope
    will try on Tuesday ....

Beans

to my knowledge linux writes randomly around the disk, while windows writes sequentually... if you've not used it much since re-installing maybe it randomly selected areas with no files or unimportant files, the more you use that computer, the more likely it is a file you want will be written over.

You should take the hard disk out and recover your files from another PC
    Last edited by Toriku; December 7th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast