Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Failed hibernate with encrypted swap

Beans

Failed hibernate with encrypted swap

Hi all,

I have an encrypted home partition, and therefore also swap. I tried to install 'hibernate' the other day, forgetting that this would not work with encrypted swap. The machine went into hibernation and now when I try to restart the machine, it just sits at the loading screen (showing the 5 scrolling dots) endlessly...

I am very new to linux, so am pretty clueless but have followed several posts on here and elsewhere from google to try to fix this. If I edit the boot command to add 'noresume', then I can get back in - but the next time I restart, I have the same problem. I have tried unmounting the swap and re-making it, but the problem persists. I guess there must be a flag somewhere telling the system that it has a saved state - but I can't seem to reset this.

Can anyone give me any clues??

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Failed hibernate with encrypted swap

On what hardware are you running?
    I have been using an encrypted $HOME before and all thru Lucid Lynx on laptops (mostly Thinkpads) and I never had any issue going in and back from either suspend or hibernate.
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans

I am on a Lenovo z370 laptop. I have read several places that hibernate with an encrypted swap would require fixing the encryption key. So I get why it didn't work. But now that I have cleared swap, etc I don't know why it still thinks there is a hibernation image to restore. Surely on a successful shutdown, it should clear that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Try booting once with the noresume kernel parameter to disable the resume cycle and restore the swap space.

Beans

Yes, that is what I have done. It is the only way I can boot again.

However, everything I have tried to do to restore the swap has not fixed the root problem, because at the next boot, it requires noresume again.

This is why I am confused - is there a flag somewhere in /boot/ that isn't being cleared?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, this is a known problem. I just got done transferring Paddy Landau's excellent tutorial on it to the wiki- page here.

Beans

Thanks. Yes, I think I saw the original post on enabling this. However, I was hesitant to implement it until the previous problem was fixed. But if you think this is safe to go ahead, then I will give it a shot..
    Is there any downside to doing this? I guess it will always ask for a password at bootup - or is this only if resuming from hibernation?

Beans

Right... so this is strange...

I followed the steps in the link. I did not hibernate, but just restarted. It restarted fine. So I thought this must have cleared whatever the previous problem was.

So then I undid all steps (plus those detailed here) so that I could get back to the original state (normal, encrypted swap with no hibernate functionality and no password to enter on boot).

Now, when I restart, the same problem is back.

Any ideas??

Thanks for all suggestions so far. I really thought I had fixed it when I managed to restart!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why don't you post in the original tutorial thread with details on what went wrong? The author will be sure to follow up on your problem there. Good luck!

Beans

To be honest, since there were no other replies, I assumed it was locked in some way.. so I could reply there.

However, this is unrelated to his post so I don't want to clutter his post with something not caused by his original tutorial. What is best practice here? Post anyway?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast