Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird router issue

Beans

Question Weird router issue

I've always wanted to solve that, but I didn't really even understand what the problem is exactly, but here's the thing, I can log into my router using my local IP as expected. However, I seen to get a very slow connection when I'm in the router page.

Now don't get me wrong, the internet connection is perfect, everything works flawlessly, but when I go into the page of the router, it frequently lags a lot, and sometimes I can't even do what I wanted because I get "connection timed out".

Is there any possible reason for this "router lag" or it's probably just my particular router being weird?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Weird router issue

And that router is . . .?

The webpage probably uses up all of the RAM of the router, and that kills the throughput. Did you search for review for this router on the web. There are probably others with this router with the same problem. If that is the case, then I would chalk it up to crappy design.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is the routers firmware up-to-date?

Beans

My router is DSL-2640B and yes, indeed, I already searched but all I find is people complaining about slow connection speed, and not about the modem itself. Also, yes, it's already update.

I didn't know about the fact that it could be using all ram of the router. It may be the explanation, I really just wanted to see if maybe that was an absurdly stupid thing that I was doing, some wrong configuration or something like that.

Well, it probably is my router's fault then, nothing I can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That is an older Dlink Wireless G/DSL router and modem combo so I am not surprised it is slow....There is nothing you can do about, had an old Dlink with the same issues. Their current Wireless N routers are MUCH better however. Another piece of advice is to never use modem/router combo's...They are never good.
    613websites.com Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Are you wanting to access the Internet through one browser page while at the same time accessing the router administration program in another browser page?

I suppose it is possible to do this but why do it?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    That is an older Dlink Wireless G/DSL router and modem combo so I am not surprised it is slow....There is nothing you can do about, had an old Dlink with the same issues. Their current Wireless N routers are MUCH better however. Another piece of advice is to never use modem/router combo's...They are never good.
    Yeah... Thanks, when I bought this modem/router a few years ago I didn't even know what a modem or a router were, though, to me they were just magical things that bring internet to my computer. So it's an acceptable mistake on my part

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Are you wanting to access the Internet through one browser page while at the same time accessing the router administration program in another browser page?

I suppose it is possible to do this but why do it?
    Wait, what? No, I don't think you understand the situation, at all. What I mean is that sometimes I want to access the router administration local website to do things with the router, reset it, edit port triggering, creating virtual servers, etc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a DSL-2640R and I have exactly the same issue, it comes down to the fact that the router is cheap and shite, it does the job its meant to do though so..... I'll put up with it. It came free with my broadband so I can't complain
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What are you using to connect to your router wireless or Ethernet cable?
    I find that connecting to my router via wireless is really really slow, almost impossible to configure that way, only with cable it works flawlessly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have an Edimax AR-7265WNA modem/router. and that gets very laggy sometimes when I'm doing admin things. It was not cheap but then it is not a industrial grade either. I guess that you have to pay to get professional equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast