Thread: Mic records with scratchy sound

Beans

Mic records with scratchy sound

Hi, I have an Asus Eee Pc 1005PEB wih Xubuntu 12.04, and it's been a while since I started having problems with my microphone. When I record my voice with Sound Recorder, or when I talk to somebody in Skype, I hear a scratchy sound besides my own voice, as if there was someone next to me making fried potatoes or something. Updating the ALSA driver (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS) improved sound quality and the scratchy sound has diminished, but it is not completely gone. I thought about changing my OS, but I tried other distros in its live version (Linux Mint, EasyPeasy, Debian, an older Ubuntu release) and it makes no difference. What can I do???

Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Mic records with scratchy sound

could you possibly upload a sample piece of audio recorded from the mic? And is it always scratchy sounding even when the record volume is set low?

Beans

Yes, even when the input volume is set low... Here is the sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?eo5f17783w2lvtt
    Thanks!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

it could be that the mic volume is low, but the mic boost is very high.

If this is the case try lowering the mic boost and raising the mic volume. this is possible through the volume settings, or through the command
    Code:
    alsamixer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paradoja View Post
    Yes, even when the input volume is set low... Here is the sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?eo5f17783w2lvtt
    Thanks!!!!
    It actually sounds pretty average for a little built in microphone. So if lowering the boost or gain doesn't work, I wouldn't get too upset about it. The built in mic on my computer does the same thing i've noticed. They're not built for sound quality, but just so they work for voice and video chat and stuff like that.

Beans

Thanks for your help. Yes, the mic boost is in zero, and the mic is high...

Yes, you are right, it's not a great microphone, but anyway it's annoying to videochat with anyone with that scratchy bothering sound, and not even changing my OS seems to do the trick.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paradoja View Post
    Thanks for your help. Yes, the mic boost is in zero, and the mic is high...

Yes, you are right, it's not a great microphone, but anyway it's annoying to videochat with anyone with that scratchy bothering sound, and not even changing my OS seems to do the trick.
    Well if switching OS's doesn't solve the problem, then I would say the mic diaphragm might be slightly damaged, or something inside is causing static discharge. By other OS do you mean windows? Or another flavor of linux?

Beans

Another flavor of linux, of course. I tried with Linux Mint, EasyPeasy, Ubuntu 10.10, Debian, Fedora (XFCE), and I think that's it...

Thank you for your help. After trying to solve the problem in so many ways I ended up thinking it IS a hardware problem.