Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't upgrade 10.4LTS

Beans

Can't upgrade 10.4LTS

Tried a dozen times to upgrade 10.4 lts to 12.4 lts per the Update Manager's instructions and failed each time.

Error message is preserved on screen shot which sorry I don't remember how to post. The message seemed to indicate missing software.

Hence I then tried sequential upgrading,intending to go from 10.4 to 10.10 to 11.04 then eventually to the 12.4 goal. But that ended after I successfully upgraded to 10.10.

When I try to upgrade to 11.04, I am obstructed by a combination of Internet connectivity problems and error 404 (files no longer exist). Obviously this means there is no longer any way to get beyond 10.10.

Now it seems I'm stuck with dangerously unsupported 10.10, no way to go back to 10.4 lts and no way to go forward.

Please advise.
    Last edited by Loren Bliss; December 1st, 2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't upgrade 10.4LTS

Is a fresh install out of the question ?

Several benefits to a nice new and pristine install.

Beans
    Hidden!

What's your computer specs? Maybe you need something that's easier on resources. Xubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Bliss View Post
    When I try to upgrade to 11.04, I am obstructed by a combination of Internet connectivity problems and error 404 (files no longer exist). Obviously this means there is no longer any way to get beyond 10.10.

Now it seems I'm stuck with dangerously unsupported 10.10, no way to go back to 10.4 lts and no way to go forward.
    You can probably upgrade beyond 10.10 by pointing your sources.list to old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ repositories.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

Beans

Howefield: fresh install would require me to back up all data, most of which is photography, the downloading of which onto a flash drive would take -- no exaggeration -- at least 14 eight-hour days. For example, a single folder of 36 35mm frames takes about an hour to load onto a flash drive, and there are probably 150 of these, some 20 exposure, some 24 exposure, most 36 exposure, plus some 12-exposure takes of 120 film. Next month I would have that kind of time; this month I do not, and I'm terrified of running unsupported 10.10 for even a few days.

Beans
    Distro

Howefield: fresh install would require me to back up all data, most of which is photography, the downloading of which onto a flash drive would take -- no exaggeration -- at least 14 eight-hour days. For example, a single folder of 36 35mm frames takes about an hour to load onto a flash drive, and there are probably 150 of these, some 20 exposure, some 24 exposure, most 36 exposure, plus some 12-exposure takes of 120 film. Next month I would have that kind of time; this month I do not, and I'm terrified of running unsupported 10.10 for even a few days.
    Then use the link.

Rhetorical question, are you really running without all those files already backed up. Wow.

Upgrading is also not without risk and to do so without having your files backed up is gross negligence to your data.

Beans

I've only used 28 percent of 1001 MiB

Beans

Had everything backed up on a flash drive -- took me most of two months to download it all -- but now that I need it, it seems to have disappeared. Tore apart the apartment looking for it: no joy.

Beans
    Distro

I've only used 28 percent of 1001 MiB
    Not sure that you mean this, that would take a few seconds to transfer to a flash drive, a few minutes at most.

Had everything backed up on a flash drive -- took me most of two months to download it all -- but now that I need it, it seems to have disappeared. Tore apart the apartment looking for it: no joy.
    So the answer is yes, you are running without a backup

Beans

Will try the link after I get some sleep. Been fighting with this problem since 8 a.m. yesterday morning and am now at the nodding-out-at-the-keyboard stage. Whether your suggested approach works or not I'll post the results here tomorrow. Many thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast