Thread: Cannot upgrade from 11.04

Beans

Cannot upgrade from 11.04

I am trying to upgrade my 11.04 Ubuntu to a newer version. 11.04 has been by far the most stable and appreciable one so far for me, but I'd like to give my computer a little change.

However, when I go to Update Manager and click upgrade, it tells me I have network connection problems... meanwhile I am here writing this post on the internet, so I don't get it. The same occurs if I check for any kind of update. Anyone knows what is happening?

Oh and also, it says I have 11.04, but my upgrade option is to a new version of Ubuntu 11.04.... I don't get this as well. Why does it not propose 12.04 or 12.10 directly?

error details for UPDATE:
    "W:GPG error: http://www.openprinting.org lsb3.2 Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7A4B44C2D2A2203E, W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

error details for UPGRADE:
    "W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot upgrade from 11.04

Support for 11.04 has ended, which is why you can't contact the repositories.

You can always do a semi-clean install from the Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 CD: boot the CD. run the installer, use the manual partitioning screen and tell it to install the / to the current / location without formatting. This will preserve your files in /home even if it is on the same partition as /

That's what I would recommend.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: Cannot upgrade from 11.04

Weird... I downloaded the iso for 12.04. I burned it on CD and ran the CD. The upgrades were added to the Synaptic Package Manager.. Not knowing which one of the long list the OS upgrade was on, I upgrades all the things available. Now that this is complete, the Synaptic Package Manager is not responding while applying changes. Anyway, I guess I will close this..

edit:

Well, I closed the thing and there were updates to my system but the OS did not seem to change. Then I restarted the computer and now it doesn't boot anymore. It goes to a screen (by the way, I have 10.10 it seems) that offers that I skip mounting "s" or manually boot or mount "M". But neither option engages after pressing the keys.

Damn what did I do?
    Last edited by camelface; December 6th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.