Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you'd start a company, what would it be?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: If you'd start a company, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I'm not sure what the business itself would be, but it would have to be one where I made obscene amounts of money, did very little and got to yell at people a lot.
    Become Steve Ballmer?

Beans
    Distro

I would become a rum-runner.
    I noticed that my favourite Bajan rum was 5.5 times as expensive in Australia as on the Caribbean island I used to live on.
    So I will acquire a clipper and a crew. Sail to Barbados and fill half my hold with Mount Gay. Sail to Jamaica and fill the other half with Appleton. Sail to Australia and sell. Instant profit!
    Any want to crew?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

is the crew allowed to taste the product on the way?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    is the crew allowed to taste the product on the way?
    Well of course! Rum drinking will continue until morale improves!

Time flies when you're having rum.

It's all rum and games, until someone loses an eye!

We will go on a rumpage across the oceans!

Beans

I would freeze napkin towels and sell them on Miami Beach from a cooler for $2 each, my buddy does it and makes about $500 a day walking along the beach in the sun looking at the chicks !

People use them on forehead and neck for a few seconds to cool down then throw them away.

But then actually I wouldn't cause I am lazy so I wouldn't actually do anything as I am a misanthropic apathetic procrastinating nihilist !
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Starting today there are some good prospects for entrepreneurs with agricultural talents in Washington State.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been in business for myself for nearly my entire adult life.

It's not all that it's cracked up to be. You work extremely long hours, vacations are hard to come by, and there's always something to worry about/needs repair/missing/etc.

You have to be good with personnel management, finance, marketing, and of course, whatever your core skills are.

That said, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I get to make all the decisions. Every. Single. One. If things screw up, it's my fault and mine alone. I like that feeling.

It also gives me enormous pride, when I leave the office in the evening, after everyone else has left. I look back at the building, and I realize it's mine. I own that building and the land that it's on. I look at my sign, and I realize that where there was once nothing, now there's something. Something I built, literally, with my brains and my own two hands. Because of me, people have jobs and can feed their kids.

It's a heady sensation, to be sure, and just about makes up for the fact that I am working today, on my "day off."

EDIT: Oh, yeah, to make this marginally on-topic. Every computer in my business runs Ubuntu, we use nothing but open source software. The ROI on Linux-based desktop computing is incredible. I began my business' migration to Ubuntu at about 8.10, and never looked back.
    Last edited by Docaltmed; December 6th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I would start a business selling lawn ornaments, like gazing balls, gnomes, and those cutouts of a fat woman bent over in her garden.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    I would become a rum-runner.
    I noticed that my favourite Bajan rum was 5.5 times as expensive in Australia as on the Caribbean island I used to live on.
    So I will acquire a clipper and a crew. Sail to Barbados and fill half my hold with Mount Gay. Sail to Jamaica and fill the other half with Appleton. Sail to Australia and sell. Instant profit!
    Any want to crew?
    Don't forget to stop by Guyana... Best rum is there IMO (though the country is a little rough).

Beans

Brewpub probably overlooking lake michigan in chicago or any body of water. something nice and relaxing about having a beer while looking at something beautiful
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast