Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corrupted files or virus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Corrupted files or virus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender Shadow View Post
    I guess I'll just delete the files then, since they were most likely just corrupted.
    Here are some screenshots of them.

for me, old type virus. maybe run an online virusscanner on it? (haven't done that in years )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by freacert View Post
    for me, old type virus. maybe run an online virusscanner on it? (haven't done that in years )
    I tried AVG, but it didn't find anything. I really don't think it's a virus anymore (but I could be wrong).

CharlesA, I am currently running a chkdisk on my thumb drive. It'll take while...

Beans

I ran chkdisk, but I don't know if it found anything. I'm deleting the corrupted files now, which will take a while due to the incorrect file sizes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You might be better off just copying the files you want off it and reformatting it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've seen something similar a couple of times, it's usually because of a corrupted file system.

Beans

Actually, chkdisk did do something. I found a folder called "FOUND.000" and in it were the files that were corrupted. All of them except the text files are fine, and the other files have correct file sizes now. I'll probably just delete those, because I can just save the web pages again. Even so, I think that I will reformat my thumb drive, just in case chkdisk missed something.
    Thank you for your help everyone, and I'll be even more careful with my thumb drive in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know you have this issue technically solved, and it may be, but if I get a drive that badly messed up. I photorec my files I need on it, reformat zero out out the drive, then smash it with a hammer. I do this for multiple reasons
    1. I nearly always have a bad drive
    2. it always good practice to wipe information off the drive
    3. while that format and zeroing is usually enough to wipe information off the disk. Hitting it with a hammer makes me feel better after I spent hours finding and restoring my files.

Again this is my personal experience. As inexpensive as flash drives are it's not worth the risk of loosing valuable data. I had to do this for someone. after hours of trying to "fix" her drive I just ended up photorec'ing it and making a DVD of all her files. The drive was unrecoverable

regarding being more careful with your drive, if you are removing it correctly, there is little you can do. the fact is drives go bad, they have a shelf-life of so many read-writes before it just wears out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It would be easier to just drill holes in the platters... but then it wouldn't make you feel better.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if you go look at the first post, the op asked about files on a usb thumb drive. Why destroy it, if a format solves the problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12