Thread: Can't access Ubuntu server (Samba share) from Windows 7 machine

Beans

Question Can't access Ubuntu server (Samba share) from Windows 7 machine

I'm not sure whether this is a Windows problem or a Ubuntu one but I'll start here, as all the settings from the Windows perspective appear to be what they should be.

I have a server running Ubuntu (12.04 LTS to be precise). I have several shares of various folders set up - the usual stuff of one for music, one for photos etc. I can access these fine from my Windows XP machine - either by typing the \\servername or by mapping them as network drives.

The laptop I recently got has Windows 7 on it (ugh!). I can't access my shared folders at all from that. Browsing for network devices doesn't show them and typing in the \\servername doesn't either. It's definitely connected as I can ping the server's IP address from a command line on the Win 7 machine and get a reply.

Is there anything I need to do from the server perspective to make it appear to Win 7 or is there something that needs doing on the offending Windows machine itself? I have added it to the same workgroup as the XP machine, which I assume the server is also on (sorry, I don't understand how workgroups work with Linux). I have enabled network discovery and gone into the TCP/IP properties and checked 'Enable NetBIOS' as I read somewhere that Samba was something to do with that.

Any suggestions you have to solve this, or to point me in the right direction are much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't access Ubuntu server (Samba share) from Windows 7 machine

Be certain that your smb.conf file specifies the same workgroup as both the Win7 and WinXP use.

Win7 changed some authentication things - making them more secure. I can't recall exactly whether samba was impacted or not, sorry.
    Did you follow the samba how-to guide from the Ubuntu help website?

Hopefully someone else will post a better answer.