Thread: Installing a GPU bitcoin miner on 12.10 64-bit

Beans

Installing a GPU bitcoin miner on 12.10 64-bit

Hello,

I'm having some serious trouble installing a GPU bitcoin miner on Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit . I've downloaded cgminer 2.9.6 x86_64 and I'm pretty sure that I have the necessary AMD drivers/utilities. When I open terminal and navigate to the unpacked cgminer folder and run the utility it asks for a url, which I put as http://www.50btc.com:8333 . It then asks for a username, and I give it my username. It then asks for a password, and since my password is nothing, I just press the enter key. A white box flashes for about 50 seconds and it then tells me it couldn't connect to a host. When I boot into windows 7 and try it on my windows miner it works just fine, which leads me to believe I didn't install it/haven't installed it correctly. Perhaps the no password thing is messing it up? I'm really not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Installing a GPU bitcoin miner on 12.10 64-bit

Use DiabloMiner, Luke!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There's no such thing as free money. The electricity you spend mining will cost you more than you'll make in bitcoins at this point in the algorithm. I suppose you could run it at work, but I know my work PC is far crappier than the one at home.
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." -John Kenneth Galbraith, Economist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For any one who is still having issues compiling and installing the latest cgminer with OpenCL for AMD/ATI

Walk threw : http://www.distrogeeks.com/?p=7105