Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't setup my virtualized windows 7 screen to my screen resolution

Beans

Can't setup my virtualized windows 7 screen to my screen resolution

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum because I'm very new to Linux & Ubuntu.
    I already apologize for my Linux understanding but I'm confident I'll improve.

I run Ubuntu 12.10 and installed virtualbox 4.1.18 (failed to install 4.2...).
    I installed Windows 7 in a VM and I'd like to use it full screen, i.e. 1920x1200 and/or 2560x1440.

I read so many different things on the net but none worked (yet).
    I tried
    Code:
    VBoxManage controlvm "my_vm" setvideomodehint 1920 1200 16
    . I get no error if the vm is running and an error if it's not running. I both case I can't change the resolution in W7.

I tried installing guest additions (failed) and finally understood it's not what to do in my case.

Since I'd like to use this configuration for work, I like to have my base image/environment fully working before I deploy some projects in different vms.

I apologize for that additional question on the topic but I'm afraid I have an additional problem.

Thanx a lot for your help.

Nicolas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't setup my virtualized windows 7 screen to my screen resolution

Guest additions are required to be installed for you to run full screen. Why did they fail to install ?

Beans

Ha ok ...

Well, I found the following on tutorials:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update --> ok
    sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`--> apparently ok
    sudo yum install dkms binutils gcc make patch libgomp glibc-headers glibc-devel kernel-headers kernel-devel --> says No package available ...
    Then when i go into the virtualbox menu bar, I should see a 'Device' menu which I don't. I have 'File' + 'Machine' + 'Help' so I don't know what to do.
    I never have a virtualbox terminal.

Any clue?

Beans
    Distro

What is the "sudo yum ect ect..." command for ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fakedave View Post
    Then when i go into the virtualbox menu bar, I should see a 'Device' menu which I don't. I have 'File' + 'Machine' + 'Help' so I don't know what to do.
    The menu you describe is what you see from the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager window, the Device menu will show up from the actual Virtual Machine Window...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I don't know what the 'yum' stuff is doing, just stupidly followed a tuto (https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15679)

Regarding the menu, that's the thing, I don't see any when I have the vm window selected ...
    See the attachment

Beans
    Distro

Are you moving the mouse up over the panel, to where it says Virtualbox in order to reveal the menu ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Are you moving the mouse up over the panel, to where it says Virtualbox in order to reveal the menu ?
    Yes I am although it not shown.
    It works for all other apps, even the main virtualbox window but not the vms themselves...

Beans
    Distro

Try installing guest additions by mounting the guestadditions .iso onto the CD drive.

You should already have the iso on your machine, but might be simpler to download from here, make sure you navigate to the correct folder to match your installed version of Virtualbox..

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/

and mount to the virtualbox CD drive by right clicking on the CD icon at the bottom right of the virtual machine window.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Try installing guest additions by mounting the guestadditions .iso onto the CD drive.

You should already have the iso on your machine, but might be simpler to download from here, make sure you navigate to the correct folder to match your installed version of Virtualbox..

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/

and mount to the virtualbox CD drive by right clicking on the CD icon at the bottom right of the virtual machine window.
    You won't believe me but I don't have those icons at the bottom right of that vm window. However I do remember seeing them few days back.
    I wonder if they have not disappeared when I chose the seamless mode. I don't know how to revert now.

Would it be a good idea to reinstall?
    Would i lose my vms? (I already spent time setting one up with software).
    I installed 4.1.18 from the software center because I failed installing the 4.2 from the oracle website.
    What would you recommend??

Thanx a lot for your time because I'm not there yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast