Thread: Installing problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Installing problem

I have 12.04 on my computer with win 7 as a partion. I was looking at an item on BBC page which stated that I needed to upgrade the installed "Flash" player I followed the download and the file 'install-flash-player-11 linux.i386.tar.gz' is now in the Archive Manager. I also tried to install a dedicated driver for my Canon printer and this file 'ip4500-debian.tar' is also in the Archive Manager. I am at a loss as to how to now get them installed?? I have tried to open them but receive a message about "Broken Dependences' and the suggestion to fix this by running either 'gksudo synaptic' or sudo apt-get install-f' in terminal. I tried both with no result. Can anyone explain how to proceed,I would add that I am an 81 year old novice at this IT stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Installing problem

Sorry, but that's quite possibly the "hardest" way to install anything as it involved compiling executables from source, which requires the installation of packages and libraries to make that happen.

I read about something called FlashAid (or something like that) which you should be able to get from the Software Center -- and it will install Flash for you.

As to the drivers, I would first install Synaptic from the Software Center, as it does a much better job of detailing and reporting on installations and their progress, than does Software Center.

Once you do that, you should then go into Synaptic and install build-essential. That will be needed to compile just about anything.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Do you have restricted formats installed, flash is part of that package.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

re: Flash

According to a previous thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1847124

installing the Flash-Aid plugin would seem to be the easiest solution if you are using Firefox as your web browser.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/flash-aid/

re: printer driver

That .tar file looks like it contains a couple of Debian packages (.deb) files. To install them I believe that all you need to do is use Archive Manager to extract them to a convenient location, then double-click...

cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb

...first, followed by...

cnijfilter-ip4500series_2.80-1_i386.deb
    Last edited by GordThompson; December 13th, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more detail re: printer driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks all, I did it seems that there is no easy way such as just a double click in Windows, so I will have to continue to use the Win7 partition for any colour printing.