Thread: apt-get remove wants to uninstall lubuntu-desktop

Beans

apt-get remove wants to uninstall lubuntu-desktop

I just did a clean install of lubuntu 12.10 (amd64). If I try to remove a package (e.g., xpad) with apt-get remove xpad, apt-get wants to remove lubuntu-desktop as well as xpad. It doesn't matter what package I specify for the remove, apt-get always wants to remove lubuntu-desktop as well. I tried installing upgrades after the initial install. I rebooted. Same behavior with remove. I tried dist-installing upgrades. I rebooted. Same behavior with remove. I have previously installed lubuntu 12.10 from the same flash drive without having this problem. The current installation seems to work fine as long as I don't try to remove any packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: apt-get remove wants to uninstall lubuntu-desktop

...hi, would not advice using the 'remove' command. it is safer to use the package manager instead.

Beans
    Hidden!

Could not find the Lubuntu counterpart, but this gives the message about meta-packages.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...ubuntu-desktop

Beans

lubuntu-desktop is a "metapackage" that "depends" on xpad and several other applications/packages. apt-get remove is behaving correctly that if you try to remove a dependency then you must necessarily remove the packages that depend on it (or else they will be in a broken state).

http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/lubuntu-desktop

xpad uses 0.5mb of disk space so there is really no advantage to uninstalling it, I recommend to let it be. It's a common beginner misconception that removing "bloat" from Ubuntu will make it run faster, but you wouldn't open up the hood of your car and take parts out, would you?
    Last edited by snowpine; December 5th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Shortly after I installed Lubuntu 12.10, I removed the "games" (ace-of-penguins) via the Lubuntu Software Center. I'm not sure I was asked about it, but lubuntu-desktop was removed as well. I've had no problems because of its removal. It's considered a "meta package" and not of any consequence.

You can read this: http://www.mail-archive.com/lubuntu-.../msg03490.html
    and this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...LubuntuDesktop
    Last edited by vasa1; December 5th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

I am not able to log in after the remove procedure, which is consequential, but it is possible that I have been mislead into ascribing the problem to the removal itself. I will investigate further. Thanks for the information.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by byStanderone View Post
    ...hi, would not advice using the 'remove' command. it is safer to use the package manager instead.
    apt-get is a package manager.

Beans

@ jeffbarish

Maybe you will find easier to install,unistall...packages with synaptic.Install it with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbarish View Post
    I am not able to log in after the remove procedure, which is consequential, but it is possible that I have been mislead into ascribing the problem to the removal itself. I will investigate further. Thanks for the information.
    Do you have further information about not being able to log in? What happens (or does not happen) when you try to? Do you see any error message on the screen? Can you login from terminal? (alt+F1)
    Last edited by ivotkl; December 10th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
    Using Ubuntu since 9.04, loving it since 2010. Still trying to fully understand it. My boxes' HW specs