Thread: Strange Graphics Issue on Fresh Install

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Strange Graphics Issue on Fresh Install

Hey all,

I just installed Xubuntu 12.10 on a brand new laptop and I'm seeing a weird graphics issue. I first noticed this during the (graphical) installation and it is persisting into the installed environment. Some bits of text and icons are getting garbled, either from the get-go or after mouse-over. It's a bit hard to describe, so I attached a screen shot of an example instance in the Ubuntu Software Center. Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Strange Graphics Issue on Fresh Install

I've had this, it's common complaint here. Mine had to do with the open source NVIDIA driver. I fixed it by installing nvidia-current in Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It's a buggy graphics driver. Depending on the vendor of your graphics chip you may be able to install other drivers. If you're unlucky and have a brand new graphics card, you may have to wait for a bug fix. Maybe you can tell us what graphics card you're using?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have an NVidia card so I tried Rebelli0us' suggestion and, so far, I haven't seen anything garbled, so it seems to have done the trick. Thanks!