Thread: Acer Aspire One 725 now fully supported in 12.04!

Beans

Smile Acer Aspire One 725 now fully supported in 12.04!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanna share a tutorial/good news, if you own an Acer Aspire One 725, Ubuntu 12.04 is now fully support, I'll go over what you need to do to get it running fully.

First, you must install the 64 bit NOT the 32 bit Ubuntu desktop, the 32bit will not work properly, generate errors and cause laggy animations, etc, the AMD C60 is a dual core 64 bit CPU, not 32 bit, hell, if you've purchased a computer in the past 3 years you probably require the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Touchpad: You must hit Fn+F7 keys at the login screen to enable the touchpad, it's a weird bug but not a deal breaker. Two finger scrolling can then be enabled in the Mouse/Touchpad settings in Ubuntu.

Screen dimming/3D: You must install the latest AMD Catalyst beta 12.11 Click HERE, reboot after install and now dimming/brightening works with Fn+arrow keys left/right DO NOT INSTALL the 12.10 Stable driver it will break your install!!!!

After you install you'll want to get rid of the idiotic watermark AMD puts on their driver. Do that by opening a terminal and running the following script in your Downloads/ directory, script is found HERE:

sudo bash amd_remove_unsupported.sh

Sleep/Wake/Wifi: all work out of the box.

Enjoy your fully functioning ubuntu 11" Laptop

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 725 now fully supported in 12.04!

thanks for the heads up about the beta driver, and watermark script. solved a major annoyance with my 725. seemed to fix it on 32 bit xfce mint for me.

Beans

I just installed 12.04 64 bit and WiFi didn't work for me after i did an update. Any suggestions?

Beans

You NihilisticNabarlek were completely right about x64. It's really works much better than x86. My acer is fully performance.
    Almost everything works well.

The last one which need to improve is HD playback with hardware decoding.
    Still some x264 movies play slows, and Flash full screen I'm sure can be better.

Very grateful for your experience, and that has helped me!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NihilisticNabarlek View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanna share a tutorial/good news, if you own an Acer Aspire One 725, Ubuntu 12.04 is now fully support, I'll go over what you need to do to get it running fully.

First, you must install the 64 bit NOT the 32 bit Ubuntu desktop, the 32bit will not work properly, generate errors and cause laggy animations, etc, the AMD C60 is a dual core 64 bit CPU, not 32 bit, hell, if you've purchased a computer in the past 3 years you probably require the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Touchpad: You must hit Fn+F7 keys at the login screen to enable the touchpad, it's a weird bug but not a deal breaker. Two finger scrolling can then be enabled in the Mouse/Touchpad settings in Ubuntu.

Screen dimming/3D: You must install the latest AMD Catalyst beta 12.11 Click HERE, reboot after install and now dimming/brightening works with Fn+arrow keys left/right DO NOT INSTALL the 12.10 Stable driver it will break your install!!!!

After you install you'll want to get rid of the idiotic watermark AMD puts on their driver. Do that by opening a terminal and running the following script in your Downloads/ directory, script is found HERE:

sudo bash amd_remove_unsupported.sh

Sleep/Wake/Wifi: all work out of the box.

Enjoy your fully functioning ubuntu 11" Laptop
    When i install the driver, it says "your graphic adapter is not supported with this driver"
    Is there any solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the same problem with the WiFi. It does not connect.

As for trhe touchpad [Ctrl] + [Fn] + [F7] works at anytime after boot.
    Last edited by jlh68; August 25th, 2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added second comment
    White box computer:Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H MB,AMD A6 3670 APU, 640GB HD, 8GB RAM, Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820T Laptop, 6GB RAM, 320GB HD, : AcerOneNetbookAO150,1.5GB RAM,120GB HD, AcerAspireOneNetbook725,2GB RAM 320GB HD. All Ubuntu 14.04.2LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

NihilisticNabarlek Screen dimming/3D: You must install the latest AMD Catalyst beta 12.11, how did you install the AMD Catalyst? Where did you extract it to or what ever? I downloaded it and have the file on my desktop, but could not install.
    White box computer:Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H MB,AMD A6 3670 APU, 640GB HD, 8GB RAM, Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820T Laptop, 6GB RAM, 320GB HD, : AcerOneNetbookAO150,1.5GB RAM,120GB HD, AcerAspireOneNetbook725,2GB RAM 320GB HD. All Ubuntu 14.04.2LTS